Ultralights. Opinions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Velius

Airman 1st Class
Sep 4, 2007
Central Texas
I've always been interested in buying an ultralight (or as my friends call them, "Flying Wheelchairs" :| ). I've been looking at one in particular; the Aerolite 103 AEROLITE103 HOMEPAGE 2006.

I need some opinions. What do ya'll think? Worth it or not?
Thanks 8)

There are many guys who have their own ultralights in The flying club in my city and not only.If you dont have enough money to buy a plane this is a good solution.To be honest if I could affort this I bought it for sure.Besides,the guys ( some of them are my friends) say that its running costs aren't expensive.And ultralights don't take a lot of space mostly.It is possible to keep them in a garage for instance.

Google "Ultralight Clubs" a ton will come up... I'm sure you'll find helpful info.

.. I'd love to give it a try.

Alot of people die in ultra-light crashes....
On the contrary, I hear you have a higher chance of surviving in an ultralight crash compared to other planes that don't fall under FAR 103 due to lower speeds and (usually) lower altitudes. Some can even be equipped with emergency parachutes.

This is true, but injuries happen with great frequency...

You're right Les, but I think some of the reasons are 1) No flight training involved. 2) No emergency procedures practice 3) No test for pilot competency. 4) Dumb **** trying to build something when he has no mechanical ability. 5) flying behind the power curve or outside the envelope. 6) Running out of Altitude, Airspeed and Ideas all at the same time.

On the contrary, I hear you have a higher chance of surviving in an ultralight crash compared to other planes that don't fall under FAR 103 due to lower speeds and (usually) lower altitudes. Some can even be equipped with emergency parachutes.
Not really true - many ultralight crashes go unreported and its because of some problems mentioned here is why the feds have tightened up on ultralights, kicking some of them into light sport.

Low speed and low altitude will kill you just as quick as high speed and high altitudes - the only differance between two is the last reading on the altimeter and airspeed indicator!

You're right Les, but I think some of the reasons are 1) No flight training involved. 2) No emergency procedures practice 3) No test for pilot competency. 4) Dumb **** trying to build something when he has no mechanical ability. 5) flying behind the power curve or outside the envelope. 6) Running out of Altitude, Airspeed and Ideas all at the same time.

his is very true. Although ultralights CAN be flown without a licence or much training, by doing so your just asking to become a lawn dart. Even businesses that sell them HIGHLY recommend taking a basic flying course. Anyone who thinks they can just take the plane out of the box, tighten a few nuts and start acrobatic flying is just asking for trouble.

As for more altitude=more recation time...I never thought about it that way

I friend of mine is an ultralight instructor. He also owned a Quicksilver. We went up one day and after about a half hour of instruction I soloed in it. It was fun and easy to fly but I prefer to have some structure around me along with a little more airspeed. I could see how a non-rated pilot jumping into one of these things could die very quickly....

Oh

Also as far as flying somthing with structure, I'd rather fly in an unltralight than a power parachute. I keep thinking that the paracghute will collapse above your head. At least in an ultralight you have a fixed wing to fly on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back