Unknown Aircraft Seat possible WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aug 13, 2017
I made this impulse buy today - it seems to be an aircraft seat but the only markings are on the wheel release plate on each side.

Right (as sitting):

64841 167 EN3 and in a circle 'WHSL 3'

Left (as sitting):

64841 162 EN3 and in a circle 'WHSL 3'

Anyone know what airraft this came from?

IMG_8979_zpsvbv2c3ww.jpg

IMG_8980_zpsyi7vyzrz.jpg

IMG_8978_zpsezgqwrbm.jpg

IMG_8975_zps8sjwvaif.jpg

IMG_8976_zpsfsqgdxqe.jpg

IMG_8977_zpsil050pzn.jpg

IMG_8974_zpsdydxuqvn.jpg

IMG_8973_zpsgyxj7ujj.jpg

IMG_8969_zps1clia8k7.jpg

IMG_8970_zpsfynhcvtg.jpg

IMG_8971_zpsacuojiwl.jpg

IMG_8968_zpstf3rhe5n.jpg

IMG_8972_zpsg36gfz9a.jpg

IMG_8967_zpspxvicbpj.jpg

It was in amongst a lot of french advertising stuff so it could be french?

cheers Mike

Many thanks Airframes, Wurger & Capt. Vick it does look very similar to the seats in the posted pictures (Vickers Varsity). I'll do a bit of googling to see what else i can pick up on - Vickers Varsity!

mt4l1u.jpg

This is the interior of Varsity T.1 WF376 ex CFS, on the Bristol Lulsgate fire ground in 1985. - Apparently!

Thats about all the pictures I could find! If anyone has similar pictures please let me know! Now what do I do with it - restore it or have it converted into one of those fancy aero-office chairs? Or any other ideas!

Here are a few of the interior of the Varsity at the Newark Air Museum, and the aircraft at the RAF Museum, Cosford.
The interior shots show a general view looking forward, from just inside the rear entrance door, a couple of the ventral gondola used for bomb-aimer training, one of the nav stations, and the cockpit.
The 'step' part way up the fuselage is the main spar, similar to its predecessor, the tail-wheel Valetta, a military version of the Viking, itself an advanced development based on the Wellington wing, and used for paratrooping, general transport and, like the Varsity, as a 'flying classroom'.
I remember the Varsity well, having often seen them flying around, and in the 'static' displays at RAF airshows in the 1960s and early. 1970's.

Varsity 1.jpg
Varsity 2..jpg
Varsity 3..jpg
Varsity 5..jpg
Varsity 6..jpg

Attachments

• Varsity 4..jpg
    Varsity 4..jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Negative.
The Valletta, when used as a 'Flying classroom', was fitted with an 'earlier generation' of seats, more in line with late 1940's designs.
The Varsity employed what was to become common with RAF transport and training types. with rear-facing seats, with high backs, designed to lessen injury in the event of forced landing, or worse, a 'system' still in use today, and one that, at one period, was highly recommended for civil air transport, but rejected due to 'passenger expectations'.

Yes. The pic below shows the interior of a Valletta C2 in the passenger role, looking forward. The smaller, brown leather seats, are similar to those used in the navigation / radio trainer, and the paratrooping aircraft had bench seats down each side.

Valletta C2 interior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the rollers on the bottom I would suggest probably crew seats or console operator seats, but whether pilots, radio operators or other I have no clue. The crew seats need to move fore and aft to suit the occupant. Passenger seats are fixed as shown in post 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back