unknown bombs

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tmmc3

Recruit
Jul 18, 2016
Anybody recognize these bombs? They were produced at the Elwood Ordnance Plant in 1943. The caption says: 4000 lb 'block busters' But they don't look like the M56 or the 'cookie' 4000 pounders the British used.
Thanks
ukbom.jpg

They look similar to the Mk1 4000 lb 'cookie', but I don't think they are. Possibly air-dropped mines ?

It is a 4000 LB H. C. (heavy case) Armor-Piercing Bomb used against armored battleships and structures of stone or reinforced concrete. They have an extra heavy case and a pointed nose. High explosive comprise about 5 to 15 percent of their weight. The bomb must be dropped from at least 15,000 ft. Appears to be in a transit case.

This info straight from my BIF(Bombardier Information File)

Last edited:
By contrast the 4000 lb. L. C. (light case) "blockbuster" bomb, about 80 percent of the total weight is explosive and is used to raise areas equal to a city block or more. The B-17 could carry one under each wing. They received only limited use in the ETO during the war.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill. Bombardier's Information File must be a rare book, Amazon wants over 500$
It is, covers everything from bombsight to first aid. Carried it on missions as a reference document. I managed to take it with me when discharged. I also have the Aircraft Identification Manuel that was on my missions.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Bomber information manual.pdf
    58.3 MB · Views: 244
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great info Bill.
The 4,000 lb MC 'cookie' or 'blockbuster' was widely use by the RAF. By 1944, an average Lancaster load was one 4,000lb MC, and 12 Small Bomb Containers of 90 x 4lb incendiaries, or a lesser mix of the heavier incendiaries, sometimes with 2 x 1,000 lb GP or 4 x 500lb GP bombs, for raids on cities.

Great info Bill.
The 4,000 lb MC 'cookie' or 'blockbuster' was widely use by the RAF. By 1944, an average Lancaster load was one 4,000lb MC, and 12 Small Bomb Containers of 90 x 4lb incendiaries, or a lesser mix of the heavier incendiaries, sometimes with 2 x 1,000 lb GP or 4 x 500lb GP bombs, for raids on cities.
That is one big bomb load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back