Unknown control column type for identification (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

harvey01

Airman
Nov 23, 2009
Could anyone identify this control column and control wheel please? The wheel looks very similar to a Whitley or Abermarle but the column is very different. Does the part number stamped on the inside of the column (Picture 3) mean anything to anyone, I can't find a reference anywhere to this series of letters and numbers?

Attachments

• Green control 2.JPG
    Green control 2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 246
  • Green control 1.JPG
    Green control 1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 249
  • Green control 5.JPG
    Green control 5.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 241
Thanks for the interest, i have had a good look at the column and found quite a few numbers, all are hard to read without damaging the paint finish.They all commence D49C.
Below is a list of some of the numbers;

D49C2059 Column Bracket as shown in the photo No.3
D49C763 Column Bracket
D49C88 Column Bracket
D49/C115 Chain wheel at rear of control wheel spindle
AH229 Centre boss of control wheel (Brake lever pivot?)

Hopefully the above numbers might help in identifying the aircraft manufacturer and type. I assume D49 or D49C denotes the manufacturer and the last number the component ID?

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Are there any type of special marking or inspection stamps? I've tried to find the part number prefix D49/ D49C but have had no luck so far.

Thanks for looking, i,ve attached a few more photos with the only other numbers i can find on the column and wheel assembly.

Green control 4.JPG
IMG_4459.JPG
IMG_4456.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really - totally different spoke arrangement and size.
I thought at first it may be a Horsa yoke, but it's not the same. Stirling looks similar, but I don't have my references or Pilot's Notes to hand to check.

It could be - the colour of the column itself looks more like one of the American interior colours, rather than the normal British Cockpit Grey Green, but that might just be the lighting.
if a flying boat, then it might be a Sunderland, which used the same, or similar style as the Stirling.

The centre boss of the control wheel has a pivot point which looks like a typical brake lever pivot. From this I would assume it is an aircraft that doesn't have toe brakes on the rudder pedals. The boss also has an 'AH' part number would that make it a Dunlop component, were 'AH' numbers only used on British made aircraft?

It is not American - I think Fubar nailed it! It's missing the grip tape If its not a Whitley, I believe it may be an Armstrong Standard assembly

armstrong_whitworth_whitley_mkv__cockpit_.jpg

Thanks for looking, i,ve attached a few more photos with the only other numbers i can find on the column and wheel assembly.

That AH number may well be a Dunlop number for the Dunlop pneumatic brake system. Dunlop brake numbers are known to start AH.

The fork above looks like typical Dunlop brake fork and the (missing) lever is held in the park position by the knob. A cable from the lever goes down to the brake valve through the hole in the shaft.

As for aircraft? British land plane with Dunlop air brakes is all I can say.
Being that so many think an AW product what aircraft was the A.W.49?
Did AW follow the NAA and Bell practice of giving the later variants of a basic design a new model number and part numbering any new parts with the new model number as the prefix but keeping the basic (say AW41) numbers on any unchanged parts?
If so then it could be from any of the AW aircraft that were in production for a range of variants. Whitley? Ensign? Albamarle?

Last edited:
It is not American - I think Fubar nailed it! It's missing the grip tape If its not a Whitley, I believe it may be an Armstrong Standard assembly

armstrong_whitworth_whitley_mkv__cockpit_.jpg
Looks like A-W design eg:
ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH 27 "ENSIGN" COMMERCIAL AIRPLANE

"On the face of this central column is a small lever
which can be moved Up, down, or sideways. This little affair
controls the entire Dunlop pneumatic braking system.
Movement in the fore-and-aft plane applies or releases the
brakes, while sideways movement brings the differential operation
into play for maneuvering on the ground. On the
left of the column and at the level of the brake control
lever is the usual Sperry pilot cut-out lever."

Ensign.jpg

Not a very good pic but the best I have

Last edited:
Are you still searching for indentification? I think I'am able to indentify this control column.
Is the control column maybe available to put in a museum display?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back