Unknown RPM Indicator 6a/1134 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bananamafia

Recruit
Aug 27, 2014
Hi all, wondered if anyone knew what aircraft this would have been fitted to?
6a/1134

sorry cameras not working at the moment, its a RPM indicator, Air ministry marked, no date.
upto 2600 revs

The range of this RPM Gauge suggests usage in a de Havilland Gipsy Major engined aircraft.
The obvious contender is the DH82 Tiger Moth; but any de Havilland-engined types would have the same instrument.
It doesn't end there, though.
Many other types used the Gipsy Major, including Miles Aircraft; Percival Aircraft; early Austers, some Airspeed types, and even the Belgian Stampe SV4 Biplane.
It all depends on what further markings are on the instrument. If it has the "A crown M" then it is Air Ministry and RAF. The date should help. It is usually a two figure number after the instrument serial engraved on the dial face behind the pointer in the vicinity of its pivot pin.

Electric or Mechanical?
I do not have that reference number in any of my references BUT
The Tiger Moth and Auster Mk 111 used the 6A/687 Mk IXB 600-2600 rpm mechanical tacho so not Tiger. I cannot find any other Gypsy powered aircraft references but those are still a possibility
The Supermarine Seagull used a 6A/474 (500-2500 rpm) or 6A/573 (600-3000 rpm) electric tacho.
Oxford and Anson used a variety of 3000 rpm or higher rpm units

I would suggest that as well as Gypsy powered aircraft you look for something like the Hawker Hart/Demon/Fury or something else of that era - eg Mercury or Pegasus engined
As abaddon1 suggests - if the serial includes a date that will be a help though low reliability items may be produced long after the aircraft it was used in finished production.
Mi Tasol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back