Unpowered Slats

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
Sorry, had a great video of F-86 slats deploying in flight during aerobatics and lost the link!

I'll find it again ...

Last edited:
Here's a video that shows the slats working. Look at around 42 seconds and also at about 2:01 ... plus other times and you can see them work. You can push them in or out with one finger, there is NO resistance. You have to clevis-pin them in to make them stay up on the ground. Otherwise gavity will make them extend ... unless the bearings are gone ...

Steve Hinton flying the Sabre.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPA31R1xifk

No real reason to post this, just slats working with g-load, speed and angle of attack.

Last edited:
You're welcome.

You can see them creep out as the gusts push the Sabre closer to the stall angle of attack. I believe they deploy some 3 - 4° before the critical ange of attack is reached, just when the airflow around the leading edge starts to burble backwards and hits the slats, pushing them out.

The F-86A and a few E's had solid leading edges. So did some of the Canadian Sabres.

The Sabre we are restoring started life as a Canadair Sabre Mk 6, which is a USAF F-86E with a bigger engine. This one had solid leading edges. We are currently converting it to slats per the new owner's wishes. It hasn't been exactly easy, but is coming along nicely.

The Sabres had four types of wings. There are long and short, with ans without slats. The short wing is EASY to reecognize. If the ailerons reach the wingtip, it is a short wing. If the wingtip has no ailerons at the tip, it is a long wing. When the F-86F came into service, it introduced the 6-3 wing. It has 6 inches more chord at the root and 3-inches more chord at the tip for improved maneuverabilty.

From the F-86A to the F-86E, they had conventional elevators and a stabilator. From the F-86F forward it has an all-flying tail. The Canadian Sabre are also easy to recognize externally. Right behind the trailing edge of the wing is an air intake. If it is flush (like an NACA intake), it is a USAF aircraft. If there is a regular airscoop that sticks out, it is a Canadian Sabre.

The drop tanks on the F-86E and earlier are about 2 feet inboard of where they are on the F-86F and later.

So, they really are simple to recognize.

The Canadair Sabre Mk I was essentially an F-86A with 5,200 lbs thrust. The Mk 2 was the same for the first 20 and the rest had the all-flying tail. They only made one Mk. 3 and it has an Orenda engine. The Mk. 4 had a GE engine and was assed to the RAF and later to other nations. The Mk. 5 had an Orenda 10 (6,500 lbs thrust). It had the 6-3 wing. The Mk. 6 had an Orenda 14 (7,440 lbs thrust). Some Sabre Mk. 6's has solid leading edges and some reinstated the slats. The one we are restoring had the solid edges but is being fitted with slats.

Last edited:
Was it determined the larger area wing to be just as advantageous as slats, but with less complexity or something?

No.

The larger wing area was to increase maneuverability of the aircraft at speed and altitude.

The slats were to make it handle better at low speeds around the taffic pattern and were usually retracted during flight at anything over realtively low speeds unless the pilot was pulling enough g's to make the airflow start to separate around the slats ... then they extended at high speeds, too, to help the Sabre turn better.

I'd bet they were extended quite often if over 35,000 feet and loading the aircraft significantly in a turn or pull-up ... but I'm also not a Sabre pilot, so I'm supposing that is true from generaly aerodynamic knowledge and some knowledge of the F-86 high-altitude qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back