Unsteuer Höhenatmer (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

greybeard

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2011
I read about this device when I was still a boy and always wondered how it worked, without finding an answer. It seems that it served to compensate for the effects of high altitude, providing not only oxygen, but under pressure, to "pressurize" the pilot's lungs in some way. But at what altitude was this artifice required? And what were the physiological causes of this need?

The lack of answers on this topic makes me think that there is not much information around on the subject, readily available, much less a complete discussion.
I have not been able to find anything specific about the subject (of which I have only a hint on "Au delà du son" by P. M. Lambermont, 1955) and I find only a brief description on Wikipedia, where it is specified that this type of oxygen mask is required above 12000 meters, because (if I understand correctly) above this altitude the human being is no longer able to inhale from a mask that offers oxygen at ambient pressure (and therefore reduced for the altitude ). The advantage is however limited to the next 3000 meters because at 15000 meters the entire organism must be pressurized, to avoid serious disturbances (anoxemia, gas embolism, hypocapnia, anatomical-physiological lesions, again according to the text cited).

I did look in my archive. If existed in 39-45 it would have been very expirimental. Germans did have pressurerised airplanes like ju86 for very high altitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back