Unusual bomb (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Ok, I need some help. I dont know where I saw it but I wished I'd saved it. I think it was in a book but not sure. Its of a bomb made out off a 55 gallon drum with a 500lb bomb tail fin welded to on end of the drum as a stabilizer. Any body know where I can find the picture or post it here. Also any idea on what it was intended for. Im guessing as a sort of napalm bomb.

Many thank in advance.

Maybe I could shed some light on what you are talking about. There was a bridge used by the Soviets at the end of the war. The Luftwaffe decided to drop a floating bomb in the water from a JU 88? I have seen a picture of it and its like what you describe.
From memory I think a lot of pyrotechnics were roped to it as well. Seemingly the job was a success.

Maybe I could shed some light on what you are talking about. There was a bridge used by the Soviets at the end of the war. The Luftwaffe decided to drop a floating bomb in the water from a JU 88? I have seen a picture of it and its like what you describe.
From memory I think a lot of pyrotechnics were roped to it as well. Seemingly the job was a success.

Very cool as I still am unable to find the picture I described above. Many thanks in advance.

This is simular to what I saw only the one Im looking for uses a 55 gal drum. These are M-69's so Im betting what I saw was a home made napalm bomb.

Attachments

• bomb.JPG
    bomb.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 427
well hell...it won't let me upload a photo that I have of the 55 gallon drum bomb...

I have the image in a .pdf format, and am having some trouble posting the extracted image. Haven't had a problem before, but after trying to upload the image (in various formats) I give up...lol

Anyway, the image is showing seven of the 55 gallon drum fire bombs being released by US 7th AF just above Airstrip No.2 on Iwo Jima on 1 February 1945. The run was targeting the wooded area near the invasion zone. Heavy strikes of several thousand of the drum bombs were to prelude the Iwo invasion.

The difference between these and the ones you're thinking of, is that these have plywood because the metal fins weren't available at the time.

Attachments

• USAAF_picture14.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 231
Great stuff, Dave and Paul! I'd heard about these DIY bombs, but never seen a picture. I believe a similar thing was attempted during the Falklands conflict, when an Argentine C130 was going to roll 500lb bombs off the tailgate, and, so I'd heard, some 'home-made' napalm bombs! If anyone has any more info on the latter attempt, it would be nice to hear about it.
Terry.

Great pic Paul! I wonder how effective, if at all, the fins were.

Not sure but could you image if you had a 55 gallon drum come through the roof of your house spilling gasoline every where. Very effective against populated Japanese city's due to the nature of construction.

Not sure but could you image if you had a 55 gallon drum come through the roof of your house spilling gasoline every where. Very effective against populated Japanese city's due to the nature of construction.

Do we know in fact that they were filled with Gasoline? That doesnt sound right. I'd believe psy-ops leaflets or perhaps diesel and ammonium nitrate. Maybe gas mixed with phosphorus for a napalm effect... but gas by itself seems like a waste.

Do we know in fact that they were filled with Gasoline? That doesnt sound right. I'd believe psy-ops leaflets or perhaps diesel and ammonium nitrate. Maybe gas mixed with phosphorus for a napalm effect... but gas by itself seems like a waste.

Could be comiso though I have heard of gasoline used for making napalm also. I also know that certain types of soap mixed with gasoline and charcoal make a very crude but effective nalpm type substance. Im pretty sure there was 55 gallone fuel drums where lying around in pretty much every campaign.

Yeah it's soap with Phosphorus that makes the magic elixir... not all soap has phosphorus.

Yeah it's soap with Phosphorus that makes the magic elixir... not all soap has phosphorus.

Either way I got to say I would not want to be on the receiving end from a heavy or medium bomber with this volitale cocktail. I think I would rather be blown up. At least then hopfully it would be quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back