up-gunned B-17 photos?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

racerguy00

Airman
Oct 5, 2006
NW PA
I read recently that some B-17s carried 6 or 8 more fifty calibers than normal on an experimental basis. Where and how were they mounted and are there any photos of one of these planes?

Page from the book the Ragged Irregulars of Bassingbourn. The 91st bombardment group. Published by schiffer books.

Attachments

• Pages from Schiffer - Ragged Irregulars of Bassington - 91st BG in WWII - ORC.jpg
    Pages from Schiffer - Ragged Irregulars of Bassington - 91st BG in WWII - ORC.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 436
Second picture is from Squadron signal B-17 in action. I beleive that answers all your questions. :D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 851
There were a number of field modifications to standard B-17's. Old 666 was a great example. If I remember "Dogfights" correctly, she carried a total of 19 x .50 cal.

I cannot seem to find a pic of her, but most/all of her singles were replaced with duals.

There were a number of field modifications to standard B-17's. Old 666 was a great example. If I remember "Dogfights" correctly, she carried a total of 19 x .50 cal.

I cannot seem to find a pic of her, but most/all of her singles were replaced with duals.

Your correct VB, there were significant modifcations to B-17's. Probably more then we will ever know. One I beleive had a cannon in the nose instead of a 50. Some had armor plates for the side gunners mounted. Off hand I cant think of more modifications.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Few more gun mount pictures. Some went into production. Others went away.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 274
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG