US: 2-engine Davis Wing Bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gjs238

Tech Sergeant
Mar 26, 2009
Was the Davis Wing ever used or considered for a 2-engined bomber?
How about a medium bomber?
How would a "Mini-24" have compared to the B-25, B-26 and others?

The Davis wing was used on th Consolidated XP4Y, a 2 engined flying boat, that could carry a prertty good bomb load also, but only 1 was built.
It used the same engine as the B-29, not enough to spare for the P4Y, so it was cancelled.

Last sentence from A wiki entry on the Davis wing.

"As speeds of aircraft of all sorts increased, the Davis wing's low low-speed drag could not make up for its higher high-speed drag, and use effectively ended."

Drag is not simple and what works well at low speed may not work at high speed ( Hawker Hurricane and Typhoon?)

where the crossover point for the Davis wing is I don't know. Davis wings are also pretty high aspect ratio. some good comes from this and somethings not so good.

Last sentence from A wiki entry on the Davis wing.

"As speeds of aircraft of all sorts increased, the Davis wing's low low-speed drag could not make up for its higher high-speed drag, and use effectively ended."

Drag is not simple and what works well at low speed may not work at high speed ( Hawker Hurricane and Typhoon?)

where the crossover point for the Davis wing is I don't know. Davis wings are also pretty high aspect ratio. some good comes from this and somethings not so good.

SR - you are right about that (I.E Clark Y on B-17 would not be useful on P-51. Having said that compressibility drag starts at about .3 (extremely negligible) and increases till .5 where it has a couple % increase to .6-.68 where there are smal localized drag divergence initiations (P-38 comes to mind). I don't feel that 'drag' would have been an issue with Davis airfoils for WWII 1943-145 model medium bombers.

Short answer - I don't know.

Didn't the B-29 have a Davis wing?

The B-29 used Boeing's Model 117 laminar airfoil, the wing featured the unusually high aspect ratio (wing span divided by mean chord) of 11, a detail that contributed greatly to reducing drag and increasing range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back