US AA defense in WWII ETO and pacific

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikesierra

Airman
Dec 7, 2020
Hi from the lake Como,
I am courios to know how was the defens of the US airports during the WWII, which were the guns and if there were differences from the pacific and the ETO
Many thanks in advance
Mikesierra

Most common, early in the War, was the M3 3"
1723935732038.png

the M1 37mm gun
1723935805032.png

There were replaced by the 90mm M1 and the 40mm M1 during the war

The 37mm M1 towed and vehicle mounts were used until the end of the war in the ETO and MTO, although the 40mm gradually increased in use as the war progressed - particularly as replacement for the 37mm towed mounts (I think).

The towed 40mm replaced the towed 37mm more quickly in the PTO, partly due to the loss of most of the forward based US ground force's equipment early on in the war - later it was largely due to the USN also using the 40mm so supply was easier. I do not know if there were any number of vehicle mounted 37mm or 40mm guns deployed in the PTO.

There were a lot of 37mm still in service in the ETO/MTO on VE day, not very many in the PTO on VJ day.

I have no idea how common the 37mm and 40mm were in the CBI.

And along with the guns and MGs, there were Aviation Engineers Camouflage Battalions, that provided passive defensive works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back