US Aircrew

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow! I knew there were different types of wings for aircrew roles, but I didn't know you guys had different types of wings for different types of pilot. Thanks Paul.

Thanks Terry,

I will have to look around on my hard drive. Some where I have a simular picture of British wings though not as many as above.

a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg

Great stuff Paul. That's the first time I've seen a close-up and the contents of the emergency packs on the parachute back-pad.
The sealing threads on the parachute closing pins brought back memories - the pins (and red threads) on our reserve 'chutes were always checked before a jump and, of course, the same was done on free-fall rigs.

1943 manual on the Duties of an army air forces officer. Enjoy!!!

Magic.

Oh for the same documents from earlier (40/41/42) and later (44/45) and for any documents showing what USAAC/F aircrew must wear in flight in different zones during different stages of the war. It is possible that the latter would be unit based or area based as one book covering everything from the cold of Alaska and the Aleutians through Europe to the warmth of the tropics from the humid Philippines to driest Africa would possibly be too large but then again the survival manual covers everywhere.

Such documents would give some good indications of how combat experience and technical developments like heated clothing changed operational reality and how 1940 combat and climate theory was replaced in the harsh light of experience just as the various USAAF/USAF Survival manuals AFM 21 (1944), AFM 64-0-1 (45) and AFM 64-45 (69) reflect the changes in that area over the years. I can post those if people want or you can download from Hathi.

Another document that reflects the learning curve is the a units Table of Organization and Equipment. One unit I am slowly researching is recorded as having two new T/O&Es in one month in 1941 and many changes in the first quarter of 1942. Finding which ones are available from the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center is slow due to under-staffing or under resourcing at AHEC.

Last edited:
Magic.

Oh for the same documents from earlier (40/41/42) and later (44/45) and for any documents showing what USAAC/F aircrew must wear in flight in different zones during different stages of the war. It is possible that the latter would be unit based or area based as one book covering everything from the cold of Alaska and the Aleutians through Europe to the warmth of the tropics from the humid Philippines to driest Africa would possibly be too large but then again the survival manual covers everywhere.

Such documents would give some good indications of how combat experience and technical developments like heated clothing changed operational reality and how 1940 combat and climate theory was replaced in the harsh light of experience just as the various USAAF/USAF Survival manuals AFM 21 (1944), AFM 64-0-1 (45) and AFM 64-45 (69) reflect the changes in that area over the years. I can post those if people want or you can download from Hathi.

Another document that reflects the learning curve is the a units Table of Organization and Equipment. One unit I am slowly researching is recorded as having two new T/O&Es in one month in 1941 and many changes in the first quarter of 1942. Finding which ones are available from the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center is slow due to under-staffing or under resourcing at AHEC.

Very cool info there, I will have to do some checking up on so of those. Many thanks

helmet aiming System manuals on AH-1 including maintenance manual and IPC - Government public release:

Jet figher g-force suit military production standard and design manuals approved for public release:

Aircrew Parachute Landing Manual including Parachute Manuals and IPC:

Martin Baker MK5 1950s ejection seat operator and maintenance manuals:
Crew night-vision sight operator and maintenance manuals including ipc:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back