US guarantees Taiwan security. Now what?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's true that HSWs can travel a mile a second (or so), but range is critical for it's success.
The further out they are launched, the better to detect and deploy countermeasures.

The Chinese can do all they want with land-based attacks, but at some point, they are going to need to take to the water in order to conduct an invasion - and that's where they'll be in serious trouble.

The issue is not the PLAN warships, it's the missiles they've deployed to deny the area around Taiwan to surface combatants or resupply shipping. The hypothetical naval war here will not be about crossing Ts or whose guns have more range, it will be about land- and air-launched missiles forcing the USN to either maintain a safe distance or risk its ships to said missiles.

As noted above, and as we saw in the Pacific War, USN carrier strength will be vital, and in that sense you're very right; we have a huge lead in the doctrinal and operational aspects of carrier warfare, not to mention a big numerical superiority. But carriers make tempting targets for a missile barrage that could likely overcome the missile-defense systems of any carrier task force we could float, which is why I think those defenses urgently need upgrading in both numbers and quality.
You nicely elaborated on the point I might not have made. They got a crap load of missiles and they are all probably prioritized for carriers.
We must assume they will work as advertised. I believe it would be irresponsible otherwise.
It would be cool if a USN surface group ambushed a PLAN force in The Slot when the PLAN was trying reinforce whatever Guadalcanal is now called.

Last edited:
You nicely elaborated on the point I might not have made. They got a crap load of missiles and they are all probably prioritized for carriers.
We must assume they will work as advertised. I believe it would be irresponsible otherwise.
It would be cool if a USN surface group ambushed a PLAN force in The Slot when the PLAN was trying reinforce whatever Guadalcanal is now called.

VA and VF are still on the table, provided they launch in time. The Chinese will take a toll from the USN, but likewise we'll do the same to them.

ETA: Hope Ching Lee is involved.

Despite the hype :) where hypersonic missiles are concerned, the latest Standard missile variants on the US destroyers and cruisers have a pretty good PK against such targets. The 20mm Phalanx CIWS has a reasonable PK also. The latest info I have seen says the shorter range missile systems are not as capable against hypersonic missiles.

With a crippled House of Representative, with two USN CBGs to the MTO and new aid to Israel along with drawing down war stocks through aid to Ukraine…. is now China's chance to invade Taiwan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back