USAAF photographs

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kingscoy

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2008
The Netherlands
www.arga-nl.nl
Hello again,

I just got these nice photo's.
2/lt Alderman/ 391FS/ 366FG/ KIA, 16-11-1944 during the Hurtgen Wald battle
Unknown pilot at P-47(look at that size of the Jug!!!)
Lt Charles Shake/ 503FS/ 339FG

I like the photo of the unknown pilot combining his flight equipment (British patern 41 life preserver)

Kind regards from Holland,
Sander

Attachments

• R.L Alderman_2.jpg
    R.L Alderman_2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 295
  • P-47_unkown_pilot_small.jpg
    P-47_unkown_pilot_small.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 306
  • Charles E Shake_small.jpg
    Charles E Shake_small.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 373
You're welcome! It is of no use to ceep it all in my own archice/ collection if by sharing somebody else is helped.....or just for joy and interest!

Cheers,

Sander

I was just going to say the same thing. He does bear a resemblance to Capt Johnson. Perhaps a very early pic of a P47 before markings were common?

Also just noticed - is there something hanging under left wing or is that part of the backround? It certainly is not a bomb and doesn't look like any fuel tank I have ever seen. Just curious. I love these old pics that just show up suddenly, not having been seen by anyone for years! Makes you wonder what other treasures are out there.

Last edited:
It could well be Johnson. The white nose I.D. band is part overpainted in another colour, so possibly at the time of transistion to using Group colours on the nose of P47s. The object which appears to be something under the port wing I think might be a Nissen hut, or other structure in the background, partly obscured by the underwing stores pylon.

He sure looks like Johnson but I wasn't sure myself. I could well be him. As for the "ordanance" under the left wing. I also did noticed that when I scanned the photo. It surely is hanging on the left wing pylon but I have no idea of what it is....perhaps some sort of cluster weapons container?
I have attached two close-ups of the pilot and the left wing...

Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• P-47_unkown_pilot_closeup_1.jpg
    P-47_unkown_pilot_closeup_1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 242
  • P-47_unkown_pilot_closeup_2.jpg
    P-47_unkown_pilot_closeup_2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I think the 'container' might be a dinghy pack, which makes it possible that the nose band is the colours of the rescue unit, ASRS, Det B, 65 FW, based at Boxted. The nose band colours were red/white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back