USAAF Victory Credits List

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
There are a few files available out on the web in PDF format that have the complete USAAF victory award list, but the files have PDF restrictions and/or passwords on them so you can't copy the data. I have had a copy of one file for a couple of years and it finally occurred to me several days ago to try a crack utility to attempt to lift the restrictions on the PDF file, at least so you can copy the data to another application.

Lo and behold, it worked. So … I copied the data into Word and proceeded to do some copy-and-replace in order to insert a decent field separator, and I got the entire list into Microsoft Excel. About an hour ago I finihsed the process of making sure it is consistent with the original document.

It has name, rank, unit, echelon, service number, date, theater of operations, and credits awarded. They are missing about 35 service numbers and a few odd dates, but it is otherwise complete. Only one name is "unknown" from over 13,000 records. Unfortunately, the aircraft type the pilot was flying and the aircraft type(s) of the victim(s) are not included ... just credits. So, you can see, for instance, that the guy was in the 328th Fighter Squadron, in the ETO, on a particular date, and got some number of credits for that date … but you don't know what he was flying or what he shot down. The Theaters are broken out as ETO, MTO, Southwest Pacific, Central Pacific, CBI, Alaska, and Iceland.

Using these data, if someone happens to know when certain units flew what type of aircraft, it should be possible to reconstruct the probable aircraft … give or take a few errors during a type transition, such as going from P-38's to P-51's. However, the errors should be relatively small compared with the overall list since all but a handful of the dates are shown (missing 12 dates from over 13,000 records). We could even list the aircraft as "Probable A/C" to show it is an assumption and not a matter of record.

The file has 13,321 individual records that account for 15,868.27 victories for USAAF service in WW2. The file is 792 kb in size and I think I would like to upload it if that is allowed. I see I can insert a link, image, or video, but am not seeing a way to upload an Excel file (in .xlsx format, but can easily save to .xls … might get slightly bigger).

Anyone interested? Is there a way to upload the file?

Last edited:
Greg:

From the board FAQ

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

I'd be very interested ini getting a copy of the file.

Thanks mhuxt,

When I go there, I see the attachments icon and the manage attachments button ... but nothing happens when I click them. It says I am allowed to post attachments, but it doesn't seem to work. I tried enabling session cookies, but that didn't help either.

I'll PM a moderator and ask about it ... but, again, thanks!

Thanks mhuxt,

When I go there, I see the attachments icon and the manage attachments button ... but nothing happens when I click them. It says I am allowed to post attachments, but it doesn't seem to work. I tried enabling session cookies, but that didn't help either.

I'll PM a moderator and ask about it ... but, again, thanks!

Hmmm.

Not sure what to say, works for me. If you want to email me the file I could post it here.

Wow, looking forward to that document matey, well worth a read I would definitely like a copy of that and so would a few 56th FG experts I know. If you still have problems, PM me and I will give you my email address to send the doc directly to me.

and I also had the same problem to start with where attachments are concerned but it seemed to work it out by itself weirdly..!

in anticipation

Krys:p

Currently working on the entire German list. The text file (before going into Excel) is 1.395 pages long, so it'll take awhile but looks like it can be done with a bit of work.

I'll check but I believe it is claims and not credits ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back