USMC F4U-5 tail hook colour ????

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
i've started my F4U-5 of VM-212 based at yonpo airbase in 1950, and i was wondering were the tail hooks painted the same colour as the rest of the aircraft, i'm asking because the painting guide say's yes but it also tell's me to paint the insides of the wheel bays and the undercart legs the same overall colour, yet on the box there's a pic of the bays painted in aluminum and the legs with aluminum and flat white parts (which i think looks better).
i'm sure i've seen tail hooks painted in red white stripes or am i imagining it ?
any help will be gratefully recieved thanks in advance guys

The red and white stripes sound right to me.

Still flying examples have the Red/white stripes.....

A search on the net will certainly provide some answers...

Eric (Evangilder) may even have some nice shots of Corsairs that may show the hooks?

I took this pic in Geneseo and between this and other pics of corsairs cannot get it to show red on the stripes , I'm thinking the exhaust might have a bit to do with that , I left a little of the stars and bars in the pic for a red reference .

Attachments

• IMG_0488 1_1_1.jpg
    IMG_0488 1_1_1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 259
Hi rochie. PB's very nice pic looks right. I'm only going off memory, but in a Harleyford book I had way back in the '60's. there were monochrome and colour shots of naval aircraft of the '50's, including Corsairs, and the hooks were as shown in PB's pic. I remember painting one like that myself, so, why not go with red white stripes? Should be O.K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back