USN Aeronautics Special Devices Div Flash Projector 5-PP-a

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

S

sifs2

I'm posting pictures for your viewing pleasure of the flash projector we have acquired temporarily. It was made in 1944 to aid in aircraft (and ship) identification. I think there are 11 rolls of film, some duplicate, most unopened. This flash projector was made by the National Mineral Corp. Prior to WWII, the company had made beauty products, including things like the permanent wave crimper. Because they had the factories, they were able to retool during the war and produce military items including this projector. After WWII, National Mineral eventually became Helene Curtis, still operating today in the beauty aid field.

The projector has a couple speeds, a couple modes, can be operated by hand if necessary. It flashes an image on the screen or wall. Some of the images in the reels are silhouettes, some are line drawings, and some are actual photos of planes flying from different angles, heights, and distances.

The middle sized box contains an entire configuration of replacement parts. Virtually all of them are in their original unopened packaging. There are several replacement bulbs as well.

The whole thing comes with the operations manual, the original bulletin signed by Capt.S.C.Ring, Director of Aviation Training, and a couple other papers.

I've attached the pdf of the Naval Aviation Training Bulletin No.201, 2 August 1944 as well as a couple pics.

I think it sounds really cool when it's running--it's easy to imagine being in a cramped little room, preparing to fly against the images I'd be seeing on the wall...which some of you guys maybe did!

BTW, I'm honored to be able to communicate with members, past and present, of our armed forces. I think you guys are doing/have done a great job!! Thank you!

Attachments

• Projector description001.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
  • USN Projector 0005.JPG
    USN Projector 0005.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 224
  • USN Projector 0002.JPG
    USN Projector 0002.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 234
  • USN Projector 0006.JPG
    USN Projector 0006.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 211
  • USN Projector 0003.JPG
    USN Projector 0003.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 222
sifs2, that's an incredible find!

The equipment and media look to be in such good shape, it really should be in an aviation museum!

Also try and protect the films from excessive heat humidity!

Is there a museum that I could contact? Any suggestions? I'd love to find a home for this where people can see it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back