USS Missouri: BB-63

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cooltouch

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
Houston, Texas
Well, the Mighty Mo is definitely WWII related -- and quite a ways beyond. I had some requests for some pix I took of her when she was moored at Bremmerton, WA, so I figured I'd oblige. Recognizing that the USS Missouri is probably one of the most photographed warships of all time, I don't pretend to add much to the repertoire that's already out there. But I got to tread her hallowed deck and touch the brass medallion embedded therein, and I guess that counts for something.

I have only a few photos of the Missouri herself. I also have a couple of the New Jersey, which was moored beside her.

The entrance to Battleship Row (Bremmerton style). The New Jersey's on the left, Missouri's on the right. Only the Missouri was open to tourists.

battleshiprow.jpg

The medallion (or plaque, or whatever it's called)

missouri4.jpg

As I recall, I couldn't get far enough away from the ship to get a profile shot, and I ended up having to settle for a pretty tight 1/4 view.

missouri1.jpg

On deck with the other tourists. :)

missouri2.jpg

Gun detail.

missouri3.jpg

The New Jersey, as seen from the main deck of the Missouri.

newjersey1.jpg

A look at the New Jersey's two forward gun turrets. Note the four towers in the background -- those were four aircraft carriers moored/mothballed there also. Probably recycled or reefs by now.

newjersey2.jpg

I'm sure the permanent memorial for the Missouri in Hawaii is very special, but there was something very, very special about getting to see two Iowa class battleships side by side. And next to them, four carriers.

Best,

Michael

great photos......I have a question. She must have been mothballed at the time you visted her, but I dont understand why she is sitting so low in the water. Normally they pump out all the bilges, and remove a lot of the fixtures, so that the ship generally sits high out of the water

great photos......I have a question. She must have been mothballed at the time you visted her, but I dont understand why she is sitting so low in the water. Normally they pump out all the bilges, and remove a lot of the fixtures, so that the ship generally sits high out of the water

Yes, she was definitely mothballed, as opposed to being decommissioned. I noticed a number of the methods they had used, where visible, to protect areas from the elements, but which could be put back into service with minimal work.

As for her elevation, I don't have an answer for you. Looks like she's about two feet above the nominal water line. Also, this was Bremmerton, WA, which is in the Puget Sound. Perhaps the salinity there is lower than the open ocean? Freshwater being less dense than salt water, a vessel will sit lower in fresh water than salt.

Best,

Michael

I checked the photo and enlarged it and looked at the depth marks on the bow of the USS New Jersey. She is drawing just 23' of water at the bow. At full load, she would draw at least 10' more.

My guess is that the USS New Jersey was last painted for empty weight. This would account for the black boot being so low.

Bill G.

I checked the photo and enlarged it and looked at the depth marks on the bow of the USS New Jersey. She is drawing just 23' of water at the bow. At full load, she would draw at least 10' more.

My guess is that the USS New Jersey was last painted for empty weight. This would account for the black boot being so low.

Bill G.

I suspect it was the Missouri's photo you must have enlarged, since I don't have any shots of the NJ showing her waterline clearly. Here's a crop of the original scan enlarged to 100%:

missouriwl.jpg

23 feet it is. Can anyone explain the "V" with the horizontal bars running through it?

Best,

Michael

Markings to show someone too far away to read numbers whether the ship is empty (bottom of "V"), mid-weight loaded (middle line) or fully-loaded (top line).....that's my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back