USS San Francisco damage pic (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
This is the USS San Francisco in dry dock. Big damage!

Attachments

• uss_sanfrancisco.jpg
    uss_sanfrancisco.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,294
We just got a brief about this today. Those boys were damn lucky! (except for the one soul, of course. :salute: )

Those LA's are one fine boat, I'll tell you that!

Sorry, I should have prefaced that with; "Without violating any OPSEC, do you know anything else?"! ;)

I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of classified information anywhere on this message board....;)

I don't know that much about subs, but it did seem like some pretty substantial damage to me. Is it normal to have the noticeable bump at the top, just aft of the damage? Or is that hull warpage?

I'm not certain just how fast those LA's normally cruise while submerged, but you've gotta figure: an object doing, let's say, 20kts (faster?) hits the sea mount. It's like ramming a brick wall, with your car!
As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they made it back in such good shape is a testament to the good design of the boat and the professionalism of her crew. :salute:

I totally agree NS. To have made it back with that kind of damage was good work! I see what you are saying about the collision now. WIth the size of that sub, that's alot of mass moving along to come to a full stop so quickly.

Speaking of submarines, NS; Have you ever read the book "Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage"? It is quiet an interesting book.

Never read Blind Man's bluff, altough I have read the Hunt For Red October :lol: ;)

It's indeed a tribute to the ship and crew that she made it back to port safely, with a minimal loss of life. :salute: to the whole crew, especially the one who was not so fortunate as the rest.

Woah, I don't think I would have liked to be a Bridge Officer on that. It looks totalled almost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back