V1 wings- why different lengths?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Peter Garwood

Recruit
Mar 21, 2008
Edited Correction!! What I meant to say was why is there a size difference on the spoilers on the elevator of the V1? The left hand spoiler looking forward is twice the size of the spoiler on the right? Now what would this induce in flight? would it make the craft deviate to one side or fly in a steady curve to one side?
Any ideas considered!!

Incorrect question was: Can anyone explain with logic why the V1 had two different sizes of wing?
When comparing the wings it is of note that one was longer than the other...what was the avaiation science behind this?

Peter

Only thing I can think of is maybe the thing inherently drifted to one side or the other so they extended one of the wings to counter it? Just a stab in the dark. Lemme know if you ever figure it out man.

The Ersatzteilliste V1 shows no big difference betwen the right and left elevator

Attachments

• V%201%20Ersatzteilliste%20i.jpg
    V%201%20Ersatzteilliste%20i.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 319
  • V%201%20Ersatzteilliste%20ii.jpg
    V%201%20Ersatzteilliste%20ii.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 326
Christ that is a big picture. And I was hoping the original questioner would post a pic and not another forum member post a pic of a model.

Either that or the "buzz bomb" had the most robust aileron screw and lock washer ever constructed. :lol:

Thanks, Micdrow.

Without further visual from Peter, I have to assume that his assumption about assymetric ailerons are wrong. The buzz bomb has no spoilers.

Thanks, Micdrow.

Without further visual from Peter, I have to assume that his assumption about assymetric ailerons are wrong. The buzz bomb has no spoilers.
Not only no spoilers but also no ailerons, either, according to the drawings. Rudder only for steering, like the old single channel RC models. The rudder steering method only allowed very gradual heading changes and was easily upset. Fighter pilots intercepting V1s found they could upset them with wake turbulence or a wingtip vortice, which was sometimes safer than blowing them up at close range with gunfire.
Cheers
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back