Various USAAF armament manuals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

watson1963

Airman
Dec 7, 2011
Courtesy of the Hangar Thirteen project website.

Covering Browning guns, Sperry & Briggs turrets, bombs, bombsights and autopilots.

Attachments

• Standard-Nomenclature-List-for-Browning-M3.pdf
    22.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 11-45C-1-Handbook-for-Sperry-Turrets-Pt-1-Upper-Turret.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 41
  • 11-45-1-Parts-Catalog-for-Sperry-A-2.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 37
  • 11-35A-1-Operation-Service-Instructions-for-K-3-K-4.pdf
    20.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 11-10-25-Handbook-of-Instructions-with-Parts-Catalog-for-E-11-and-E-13-Adapters.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 11B41-2-2-1-Operation-Service-and-Overhaul-Instructions-for-Bombsight-Type-M-9.pdf
    36.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 11-5-38-Handbook-of-Instructions-with-Parts-Catalog-for-Type-A-2-Bomb-Rack-Release.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 40
  • 9-225-Technical-Manual-Browning-Machine-Gun-Caliber-50-AN-M2-Aircraft-Basic.pdf
    35.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 9-1980-Bombs-for-Aircraft.pdf
    27.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 11-45G-1-Handbook-for-Sperry-Lower-Ball-Turrets-A-2-A-2A-A-13.pdf
    16.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 11-45C-5-Operation-Service-Instructions-for-Sperry-A-1-A-1A-A-1B.pdf
    51.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 11-60AA-1-Handbook-of-Operation-and-Service-Instructions-for-Automatic-Pilot-Type-C-1.pdf
    26.2 MB · Views: 38
  • Standard-Nomenclature-List-for-Browning-M2.pdf
    9.8 MB · Views: 23
  • Briggs-Lower-Ball-Turret-Models-A-2-A-2A-A-13.pdf
    39 MB · Views: 39
  • FGE-M2-Browning-Proper-Headspacing.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 41
  • FGC-M2-Browning-How-the-Gun-Works.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 41
  • Sperry-Service-Overhaul-for-Upper-Turret.pdf
    37.8 MB · Views: 33
  • B-1-C-1-Automatic-Pilot-Preflight-Operational-Procedure.pdf
    10.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 11-60AA-2-Handbook-of-Overhaul-Instructions-for-Automatic-Pilot-Type-C-1.pdf
    38.8 MB · Views: 39
  • 11-60AA-9-Preliminary-Instruction-Manual-for-Formation-Stick-use-with-C-1-Autopilot.pdf
    12.7 MB · Views: 32
An Excellent collection - well worth the bacon award and your post contains several manuals that I had never seen before.

Thank you

For those on slow or expensive networks who want to know what they are getting before downloading this list covers it (hopefully in order)

NOTE - I tried posting the list as text and got the following error so posted the list as a JPG instead
1702084219213.png

1702083986502.png

Hey Watson, any chance of a link to the original website so we can see what restoration project(s) they have going? Youtube has a B-17 but I could not find anything else except a gamer site.

Thanks MiTasol, thanks for posting the pic of the list.

I've been after turret manuals for ages, just for curiosity and interest sake. This was the first time I'd seen them.

Here is the Hangar Thirteen site (the source of the manuals) .. an interesting project:
Hangar Thirteen

It struck me the other day that we've lost 3 B-17s in the past few years - the one which put down in a field and burnt out, the Bradley Locks accident, and the collision with the P-63😞

Thanks for that.
I've already viewed all of those, and many other references, but none show the dimensions of the Sperry S-1 bombsight, which is what I'm looking for.
However, I've now sent an e-mail to the Parham Airfield Museum (Framlingham, Norfolk, UK), where I saw a Sperry sight on display during my last visit there, and I've asked if they can provide dimensions when one of the volunteer staff has a chance to access it.

According to the website Glens museum has two units - one complete and one in pieces.

He may provide you the info you need and he appears to have a manual which possibly has dimensioned three view drawings. His webpage shows his contact info as [email protected]
1713658255183.png

Pity you missed out on this one

For those on slow or expensive networks who want to know what they are getting before downloading this list covers it (hopefully in order)
It's possible to use an image of the title page as the download link. I don't know how it's done, but I have seen someone do it and it's a big help. I some cases I already have the same basic manual but wouldn't mind getting a version from a different year.

It's possible to use an image of the title page as the download link. I don't know how it's done, but I have seen someone do it and it's a big help. I some cases I already have the same basic manual but wouldn't mind getting a version from a different year.

I do that with all my posts and I find it dead easy to do but few others follow my lead. The lucky blighters probably have a FAST internet with no download limits.

If a PDF I have created I just open the scan of the cover or title page, crop and reduce it as applicable, and reduce it and post it. Takes less than a minute.

If a PDF I have not created I just do a screen shot of the cover or title page, crop and reduce it as applicable, and post it. Takes about a minute.

In both cases I open the file (or drop the screenshot) into Irfanview, IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide , go Contol +R which brings up this screen, click half a couple of times and then copy that to the page I am posting to.

an example from Aeroplane Maintenance and Operation series of books from early 40s

1713901871793.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back