VB-20 SB2C Helldiver.....1/48 Promodeler

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

History Man

Airman
Jul 1, 2014
West Coast
Here is a kit I built in remembrance of of a crew stationed off the USS Enterprise that was shot down in 1944 while conducting bombing operations in the Palau region. I am planning on a public display next month for KIA aircrews, so I am working on model aircraft for specific crews and squadrons to display with their memorabilia.

I went with the tri-color scheme used by squadrons during mid-war before they transferred to the dark blue scheme. Second attempt at doing this and I was happy with how it came out. Photo-etched dive flaps gave me some trouble but they finally played ball and look pretty good. Was able to find a pair of triangles in my decal box that I bought recently from an old-time model builder, they were for a British aircraft but worked fine for me. The one issue was that I forgot to leave the canopy covered until the flat coat was applied so it fogged them up, but I actually like the effect it gave it. The overall kit was an enjoyable build, after the inner detail was finished detailing....the aircraft came together quickly and with little trouble. I may end up purchasing and making another one, it is just a real nice kit.

Hope you enjoy.

Philip

SAM_4138.JPG

SAM_4124.JPG

SAM_4125.JPG

SAM_4126.JPG

SAM_4127.JPG

Last edited:
Agreed. Also the "glass" doesn't look too clear.

Not too bad at all. The seam on the fuselage underside looks like it could have used more attention.

Thank you, the seam on the underside starting opening up during the final stages and after finishing the kit....it became pretty noticeable. I am going to look for a good filler to use....I have a Tamiya one but I am going to try and find a more "user friendly" type.

Philip

If you used a "white" glue to put the canopy on, you could remove it and probably take the dull coat off with denatured alhcohol. I've had it remove Testor's dull and gloss coat by accident recently.

Quick photo tip; you're shooting into your shadows. You want your light source between your camera and your subject. Not directly in line, somewhere out of your field of view.

Hope that helps,
Keeper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back