Vickers OA -10A-V1 Catalina, 44-33939,4th rescue squadron,Hamilton AFB, Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Forgot! :oops: For some of these I'd use these sets....

Attachments

• 48-023 USN Squadron Designators  Standard 12 inch Numbers Black.jpg
    48-023 USN Squadron Designators Standard 12 inch Numbers Black.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 48-048 U.S. National Insignia PT-3 May 1942-June 1943.jpg
    48-048 U.S. National Insignia PT-3 May 1942-June 1943.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 72
Thanks Jan, do any of those above kits have decals on the bottom..? Becuase my kit both versions have bottom markings and I wouldnt want to miss that when making my pacific version..

Nope Corey. They only have the Star under the starboard wing (right), that is if you refer to the big yellow code letters on the bottom of the fuselage..

Attachments

• pby-1.jpg
    pby-1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 104
Did some of the cockpit, some more to do but eh. I'm going to build the kit and do the navy blue paint job with the white undersides and most likely purchase the decals towards the end and slap them on.

Attachments

• PICT0982.JPG
    PICT0982.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 88
  • PICT0983.JPG
    PICT0983.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 101
  • PICT0984.JPG
    PICT0984.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 96
Could you explain the retractable option piece that goes under the cockpit, I put it in but if I left it out there would just be a gap.. What was its purpose?

This, just wanted to know its purpose on the real cat, I was thinking sailor rescue but they had other areas for that..

Attachments

• PICT0986.JPG
    PICT0986.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 103
What was its purpose on the real cat though? I will def look for the opened one also..

That is if you want to build the Cat as it look like in the water... As it is an PBY-5A that you're doing you have a landing gear that comes with it, those up to the PBY-5 had wheels that were attached at their base when they were pulled out of the water...like this one, a PBY-5.
PBYCatalinawashday.gif

Nice work so far Mag, but don't forget to paint the switch panel etc above the bulkhead hatch. As Jan said, the later Cats were true amphibians, with retracble landing gear, and that's what the parts are for on your kit.

Mines 10A and has a nice place for those wheels to go into, they arent pegs screwed onto the body like that above pic.

I think I've got a modelling magazine article from donkey's years ago covering the Cat, which has a few pages of (B&W) profiles. When I find it in the great pile of cr*p I call my 'reserve reference location', I'll see if there are any Cat's you could do from your kit, and also see if there's a simple colour scheme needing the minimum of decals. Bear with me for a day or so, and you might need to check with Jan as to any visible detail differences once I find something. I'm afraid the Cat is not my strong point, even though I've been in one!

Well Corey, I found the magazine, from 1983, and there are 23 profiles in there, plus quite a few pics. But, not one of them would fit your kit! There are a couple of PTO birds, but they're earlier versions. Sorry mate!

Later model Cats had retractable gear. Early model Cats had no gear. They were attached externally upon entering drydock. Check out Lucky's excellent pics. There's one there where they have just launched a Cat and the ground crew are pulling the main gear ashore with a winch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back