Vickers Valiant paint question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
I have just opened the box on my new build an Airfix 1/72 Vickers Valiant and I have a question that no amount of googling seems to answer. I am going to build the model as XD818 which dropped Britains first thermonuclear bomb Short Granite during Operation Grapple X. I want to paint the Valiant as it comes in to drop the bomb but I dont know what colour the anti radiation window screens that protected the crews eyes were. As they were Lead I presume grey but can anyone give me the right colour.

Also as the cockpit interior wont be visible would you paint it or just not bother fitting it at all. It just feels wrong not to paint the interior even though it will never be seen :lol:

Valiant.jpg

As far as I know, the screens were 'anti flash' white. Personally, I'd fit the cockpit, painting it various shades of black - that is , very dark greys, and pure black, for some sort of contrast. But then, if the screens are in place nothing will be seen of the interior anyway !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back