Vickers Wellesley, Vacform, Sanger 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mpapadakis

Airman
Jan 2, 2007
Athens
Hello everyone,

I have recently started researching this awkward-looking but also very interesting aircraft. For the time being I am trying to work out how I am going to approach this build and gather info. Just to give you an idea, here is something I made using Photoshop: a combination of a profile and a diagram showing the internal geodetic construction of the fuselage... Fits like a glove, doesn't it?

Wellesleyside.jpg

Comparing this profile with the photographs of the actual aircraft, I think it is spot on so I will use it as a basis for my build.

On the contrary the Sanger kit apparently resembles a Wellesley but in fact it isn't...
Using Photoshop (once again) I created a set of plans in 1/48 scale (bearing in mind the dimensions of the actual aircraft) which I then compared to the Sanger fuselage, wings, and tail.. As I expected they have many problems but I think with a bit of work it can become a decnt model of a Wellesley.

Since I am at it, I was wondering of anyone has an issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling - April 1998 which contains detail interior drawings. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share it with me. Thanks again, hope you enjoy this build.

Should be an interesting one.Although I have copies going back to 1980, I don't think I have that issue of SAM, but I'll check and post the info if I have it.

Thanks guys, hope that you like it...

Here is a little bit more. The Sanger fuselage and wing against the selected plans..The obvious problems are:

Wellesleyproblems.jpg

1. The cockpit is not where Sanger has placed it.
2. The curve of the engine nacelle is a litle too "shallow"...
3. The model's rear fuselage is a bit thicker...
...and the wing chord is a bit narrow...

Oh well...

Don't worry about the faults you've encountered the guy at Sanger does his best and are really good value to other vac' form kits, I built their 1/48th Avro Lincoln - Loads of faults but i still loved the end result as i hope you will be too.

ian.

Thank you for your interest and your encouraging comments. I haven't built a Vac kit before but I think I can pull this one off. For the time being I am still studying the aircraft, together with the Vickers Wellington in order to get the feel of the geodetic philosophy. Hopefully you will see some more progress shots soon.

Don't worry about the faults you've encountered the guy at Sanger does his best and are really good value to other vac' form kits, I built their 1/48th Avro Lincoln - Loads of faults but i still loved the end result as i hope you will be too.

ian.

Indeed I must say that for a vac kit it is not that bad, although I would have preffered that Sanger had used a more accurate set of plans. Another fault that I failed to notice when writing the previous post (which will make my life a bit more difficult) is the fact that the fuselage is also a bit too narrow...

Well, in any case vac kits are not meant to be easy and since I am at it I will do my best to rectify those faults and come up with the desired result. I have no doubt that I will enjoy this built. Somehow the Wellesley really intrigues me!!

Btw, have you posted your Lincoln?

This looks like being an interesting build. All I have on record to offer is the profile of the Wellesley for 35 Sqn, Worthy Down, Apr 1938 and 76 Sqn, Brooklands, early 1939. If it's of use, just holler and I'll post.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

[

hi
have you photos for the interior and step?
i search on the aircraft for 1/72

james
[email protected]

QUOTE=mpapadakis;595326]Hello everyone,

I have recently started researching this awkward-looking but also very interesting aircraft. For the time being I am trying to work out how I am going to approach this build and gather info. Just to give you an idea, here is something I made using Photoshop: a combination of a profile and a diagram showing the internal geodetic construction of the fuselage... Fits like a glove, doesn't it?

Wellesleyside.jpg

Comparing this profile with the photographs of the actual aircraft, I think it is spot on so I will use it as a basis for my build.

On the contrary the Sanger kit apparently resembles a Wellesley but in fact it isn't...
Using Photoshop (once again) I created a set of plans in 1/48 scale (bearing in mind the dimensions of the actual aircraft) which I then compared to the Sanger fuselage, wings, and tail.. As I expected they have many problems but I think with a bit of work it can become a decnt model of a Wellesley.

Since I am at it, I was wondering of anyone has an issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling - April 1998 which contains detail interior drawings. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share it with me. Thanks again, hope you enjoy this build.[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back