Victory Over Gold picture: Who was in the JU88 shot down over Caen?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DaveMorath

Recruit
Sep 13, 2020
Hi all,

I've bought the Nicholas Trudgian picture Victory Over Gold that shows 401 squadron shooting down a Ju88 (one of six in that engagement) on D-Day+1 over Caen. I have retrieved combat reports by the RAF pilots that day, but can't find anything on the German squadron or who the pilots might be? I know that Luftwaffe combat reports are very difficult to find but if possible, anyone know how I can try find? But key, is finding more details about this aerial engagement? What else can I do! Many thanks for assistance. Dave

Attachments

• Victory Over Gold.jpg
    Victory Over Gold.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 143
In "2nd Tactical Air Force" Vol. One, it says, "......for at 920, 126 Wing was on patrol when more of I./ZG 1's Ju 88C-6's attempted to make another attack. Pilots of 401 Squadron saw one Ju 88 hit a balloon cable and crash, following which 12 or more appeared out of the clouds......" Sqn. Ldr. L.M. Cameron, 401's Commanding Officer is named with two victories

That's really interesting to see, thanks.
I'm aware 6 Ju88's in the engagement, and this most likely one of those Ju88's.
What does '169' signify at the front of the text, do you know?
Also 7/ZG-1 I think would suggest Zerstörergeschwader 1 (7th Group?); however it appears this squadron didn't fly Ju88's? I know it's just Wiki.....but upon first investigation!
Can I ask where you got the information from - if a little sensitive where from then no problem!

The combat report from F/O Bishop states:
Flying as Yellow to F/L Murray D.F.C we attacked e/a. [enemy aircraft] 2,000 [ft] I saw my No. 1 [F/L Murray] hit starboard engine as e/a broke left. I commenced firing, following him saw strikes on mid upper fuselage also port engine started to smoke. We followed e/a to ground where he disintegrated.
I claim one Ju.88 shared with F/L Murray D.F.C.

Thanks again

Hi,

Seven Ju 88s of I./Z.G. 1 and III./Z.G. 1 were lost and another damaged. A captured member of 2./Z.G. 1, radio operator Unteroffizier Heinrich Heymann from Ju 88 C-6 Werknummer 750 441 '2N+CK' stated that around twenty aircraft of I./Z.G. 1 took part, flying from Vannes. Another captured radio operator said that twelve aircraft of 2./Z.G. 1 took part.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Thank you gents. A bit more work to do for me! Just for info, have attached combat reports if you wanted to see - courtesy of IWM London.

Attachments

• AIR-50-136-87 FO Bishop.pdf
    77.2 KB · Views: 124
  • AIR-27-1774-12 401Sq.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back