Video of my 'alive' Avro Lancaster ''Just Jane''

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff Ian, it looks the biz mate !
I'm thinking of putting some interior lighting in mine, when I do it, and hiding the wires to the battery either through an oil bowser or the trolley ac., built in to the diorama display board.

Great stuff Ian, it looks the biz mate !
I'm thinking of putting some interior lighting in mine, when I do it, and hiding the wires to the battery either through an oil bowser or the trolley ac., built in to the diorama display board.
Terry the model itself is complete but still got the base to complete, the wing tip landing lights also work on the model,
the landing lights are two small LED's set into the wing and the wing tip lights light up by the use of optic rod, in the middle
of the wing is the coloured LED's which the optic rod attaches to and shines the light to the very end of the wings.

All these wires/resistors are closed up in the wings and every wire runs through the fuselage and through
a modified rear tail wheel, which will go through the base and the battery boxes are hidden underneath
to the front of the base will be two retro aircraft type switches, one for the props one for the lights.

The rear tail planes are also separate hinged so they can go up or down, this is by hand though...lol

Base will also have figures vehicles set up to replicate EK.

jj%20002_zpslmnqreiq.jpg

jj%20001_zpswxfi5hlq.jpg

hhh%20003_zps4aqfheur.jpg

kklkk%20002_zpsw8zkwn71.jpg

mmmmm%20004_zps3xzvnz3n.jpg

jjjjj%20006_zps3p2nn9zp.jpg

Great stuff Ian, and thanks for the info about the wires going through the tail wheel. I'd thought about this, but didn't know if they would fit. Now I know that they will, I'll go for that option - saves a lot of fiddly work.

Great stuff Ian, and thanks for the info about the wires going through the tail wheel. I'd thought about this, but didn't know if they would fit. Now I know that they will, I'll go for that option - saves a lot of fiddly work.
So the tail wheel has got you fooled just as it did with my other friends!!

The actual ram has been replaced with hollow brass rod so the wires can pass through, the original part is just to small a diameter to drill out so the wires can pass through.

These photo's will explain better as the original yoke can't be used....

10438307_975104435843147_6610801265607739398_n_zps6frjo142.jpg

001_zpseheavozf.jpg

kkklkl%20001_zpsa8anrtui.jpg

11021088_975104449176479_4787303817648692232_n_zpsag3up2kl.jpg

kklkk%20001_zpsjineme6n.jpg

Thanks for that Ian, very useful.
I'll go for that, with small LEDs in the radio compartment, mid section, and between the mid-upper turret and the entrance door, hiding the wires at the rear under the floor and tail-plane half bulkhead, before going through a brass, or alloy tube replacing the tail wheel strut. Much easier than leading the wires through the wing to either the oil filler hatch, then to the oil bowser, or the wheel well to the trolley ac.

Terry you have to remember that each solo LED has to have a resistor soldered onto the positive side and the correct resistor used for the voltage of the LED, too small a resistor and the LED will be very bright and could well melt blow, too big a resistor and it will be really dull or my not work at all, wiring LED's without a resistor will blow the LED almost instantly... So for every thing to work correctly you really need to lay out all the LED's - resistors - wires - battery box - switch/s, ensure everything fully works, leave on for at least an hour, when everything is fine then go ahead and fit into the model.

You could actually illuminate several parts in a model using just one LED and several different lengths optic rod to what ever part you want to light up, its easy but rather tedious to do, the optic rod can be bent carefully, so it can be fitted in tight places where no LED would fit.

This shop can supply everything you want and isn't that dear at all, Maplins is a rip off compared to this shop and they are very helpful.

Component-Shop - Buy RC ASG Batteries, LED, battery, lead, connector

Last edited:
Brilliant ! (pun not intended!)
That's great info Ian, thanks very much. My knowledge of electrickery is on a par with my knowledge of quantum physics, so this info will help tremendously.
The link has been 'Bookmarked', and when I'm ready to start on the project, I'll give them a call and get some advice, as I don't want the internal lighting to be too bright, just enough to illuminate the shadow areas which otherwise would be hard to see through the door, forward (open) escape hatch, and canopy.
I also know of another company - Small Scale Lights, by JS Miniatures, who supply really small nano chip LEDs and other stuff, but I'll call your contact first.
Many thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back