Video: restored Ki-43 flying

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Japanese warbirds are so interesting. We all wish more of them could have been around. One very nice and little know IJA plane was the Ki-10 biplane, which was was one of the top machines of it's type. Shame that I think no one is know to exist. =/

Last edited:
Read on another site it's a P&W-1830. I noticed that the wheel wells were silver and not metallic blue(or green?). Was the metallic just by certain manufacturers? And they might want to have a word with the decal makers. On the right wing root, at the 2:30 mark, the decal reads "NO ENTR" :p Fantastic to see another warbird flying. Great video Jenisch.

Geo

Read on another site it's a P&W-1830. I noticed that the wheel wells were silver and not metallic blue(or green?). Was the metallic just by certain manufacturers? And they might want to have a word with the decal makers. On the right wing root, at the 2:30 mark, the decal reads "NO ENTR" :p Fantastic to see another warbird flying. Great video Jenisch.

Geo

The video is of a reproduction of a Ki-43 III (w/ separate exhaust stacks) in the colors of the 54th Sentai / 2nd Chutai. This unit served in the Sakhalin area at the time of the Soviet invasion in August 1945, though most of its aircraft had by then been sent to the Philippines (and lost there). Three of these Ki-43 reproductions have so far been built.

I did a commissioned painting of one nearly identical aircraft for the Wings Museum in Surrey, UK - as they recovered several Ki-43s of the 54th back in 2006:

J-Ki43-2.jpg

This is a Ki-43 II, however.

Regarding the blue/green paint: That so-called "Aotake" primer was a clear coat applied (and tinted blue/green to be visible) as a corrosion preventative agent much like zinc chromate was applied by US manufacturers. While Japanese manufacturers used their own various colors of paint in their aircraft production (some according to military specifications, but that didn't include interior colors), the Aotake primer was mandated and used universally by different companies for the interiors of aircraft. Some companies, like Mitsubishi, over-painted crew areas with a mat green or other colors. To this day, Japanese aircraft languishing on Pacific islands are overall much better preserved than Allied aircraft exposed to the same elements - thanks to Aotake.

Should the Ki-43 in the video have Aotake wheel wells? Hard to say. By late war many aircraft were being built without paint or primer, and the pieces I have from real Ki-43s reveal a few areas where Aotake was applied - but not many.

Ron Cole

Cole's Aircraft Website:index

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back