Vietnam War architect Robert McNamara dies.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Number junkie. Smart guy, but didn't always make smart decisions. Think he has a very critical and singular responsibility for Vietnam. Not all of it, but a chunk of it. It was his war as much as it was Westmoreland's and Johnson's.

I do think he shares much of the blame for what went wrong in Vietnam.

He screwed up in a big way.

I wont celebrate his death, but I also wont salute his achievments.

Probably not a good choice of title....but McNamara was the Secretary of Defense who mismanaged the Vietnam War. I've always thought he ranked right up there with Jane Fonda on the Vietnam Vet Loathing List. Could be wrong, though...if I am, could a Mod edit the title of this thread?

:occasion5: No worries. Dad never talked much about his Vietnam time, but he was consistently adamant about his hatred for those two individuals. I haven't had much opportunity to spend time with other Vietnam vets, so I wasn't 100% sure it was a universal thing.

I do think he shares much of the blame for what went wrong in Vietnam.

He screwed up in a big way.

I wont celebrate his death, but I also wont salute his achievments.

very close to my own sentiments! Not sure what his achievements were except as an architect for poor execution for war in Viet Nam. Certainly not Edsel or the F-111.

Errrrr hang on a minute...
I didn't title this thread 'A time to rejoice' - I don't care what he's done, I wouldn't ask anyone to rejoice over a person's death

...and what's my Vietnam thread doing in Off Topic?

Last edited:
It got merged with RA's thread.
If it's got my name down as the originator, do you not think it could have kept my title? It was a little more civil.

Edit: Well, almost. Can we just get rid of the 'Time to rejoice' nonsense? I don't think a person's death is anything to cheer about

Last edited:
Heh. Anything I'm associated with tends to get kinda screwed up. Sorry, Colin. Shoulda thought to run a search (or look in another forum) before posting mine. And I'll blame my title on a brainfart. I'm not happy he's dead, but I'm not heartbroken either.

Heh. Anything I'm associated with tends to get kinda screwed up. Sorry, Colin. Shoulda thought to run a search (or look in another forum) before posting mine. And I'll blame my title on a brainfart. I'm not happy he's dead, but I'm not heartbroken either.
It's not a problem RA
I understand you guys will likely have different sentiments to anyone outside of the US (it was principally you guys that it was aimed at for comment) but I don't promote threads that actively invoke dancing on peoples graves.

McNamara did serve during WW II in the office of statistics.
Their main function was to assess the damage being caused by the bombing raids.
He also had a crucial hand in helping John Kennedy manage the Cuban Missle crisis.
The M-16 program was one of his achievements/failures too.

I thought some of the things he did other than the Vietnam experience should be mentioned.

Edit:
If it's got my name down as the originator, do you not think it could have kept my title? It was a little more civil.

Edit: Well, almost. Can we just get rid of the 'Time to rejoice' nonsense? I don't think a person's death is anything to cheer about

If you "go advanced" when you edit the post you should be able to edit the Thread heading and rename the thread.

Wheels

Last edited:
These words are timely...........................

For Whom the Bell Tolls
by John Donne (1572 - 1631)

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

I saw a documentary film featuring McNamara a while back - I forget the title. It strikes me that he was an exceptionally talented and intelligent man, but perhaps not the best choice to steer the US through Vietnam, as his experience of analysing the bombing campaign against Japan was not really the best preparation for the kind of war the US needed to fight in Vietnam.

OT, lingo, glad to see anothe fan of John Donne around :lol:8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back