Vietnamese Morane-Saulnier?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Feb 19, 2023
London, UK
Hello,
Recently I found this photo of what appears to be a Morane-Saulnier, and according to the source of the image, is one that was owned by the last Vietnamese emperor Bảo Đại. Does anyone know what specific type it is, when this photo was taken and, if possible, what markings it could've had? (My assumption is it was taken somewhere between late 1945 and early 1946.) Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

m.s..jpg

]Does anyone know what specific type it is, when this photo was taken and, if possible, what markings it could've had? (My assumption is it was taken somewhere between late 1945 and early 1946.) Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Here is another shot of her ...

morane ms343_b1.jpg

the source: the net.

Below there is a shot of the French MS.343 to see how Bảo Đại's Morane looked like. Certainly it didn't have the French national markings. The main trouble is the plane was not used for a long time because the wing was dismounted. It can be noticed in both images above. So it is very difficult to state what markings were there. Judging by the pics above she was of the silver overall. Also there is someting like the "M" letter" and someting that looks like 14 on the rudder. I guess that's the MS serial written in a standard way for all French made planes. Additionally, there is the Morane -Saulnier factory logo on the fin seen in both pics. No markings on the fuselage IMHO.

ms343.jpg

the source: the net.

Regarding the date ... according to the Vietnamese sources the plane was used for a ground training of the pilots and mechanics since March 1949 onwards. The aircraft was donated by the former imperor to the revolutionares later in 1945. The plane was dismountled and transported to Hanoi at the end of the year . But the trip stopped at the Son Tay, Tung Thien district. In January 1946 the kite arrived at the Tong Airport but the maintence crew had a problem with assembling and the aircraft remainded in storage. Later the disassembled Morane was sent to the Viet Bac base. Finally she arrived a makeshift airstrip in Chiem Hoa. Unfortunately there is no info of her farther fate except she was kept permanently dismountled . Well taking all the info into consideration I would say, the most likely period of time for the shots is 1949-1950. Because most of the 1946 the aircrfat was transporting to the airfield it wasn't used rather and then stayed in the storage until the March 1949. The guys in the pictures look like the revolutionaries getting a training so the date for the images should be 1949 at least when the Vietnam AF was formed or even later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back