Virginia Vet's Licence Plates

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Just about this time last year, I posted that the Virginia Dept. of Motor Vehicles would not renew my Vet plate on my truck because they were 25 years old. So they sent me a new plate, VET 5991VS. My license plate us up for yearly renewal, so I requested VET 1237. DMV tells me it is not available. Soo.... My son in law is a local police officer, so I had him run the plate. Sure enough, it's been re-issued. He would not tell me to whom, but he did say it's registered in Arlington, VA.

I called DMV to complain, but it was like talking to the bulkhead. Soo... I did some quick thinking, and got my VET 1237 back..... sorta.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0425.JPG
    DSCN0425.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN0426.JPG
    DSCN0426.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 195
When I got my Vet plates, I just let them assign me any V#.

I have thought about changing them to Veteran Personalized plates. I was thinking of getting something with UH-60 in it. We'll see. For now I am satisfied with my Vet plates the way they are.

Good stuff Charles, and what a cool idea - plates identifying former Service personnel. We have 'personalised' plates in the UK, but nothing specific to veterans.

Good stuff Charles, and what a cool idea - plates identifying former Service personnel. We have 'personalised' plates in the UK, but nothing specific to veterans.

Every state has their own plates when it comes to Vets. Here where I live we have individual ones for Retired Army, Retired Navy, Retired Air Force, Retired Marines, Purple Heart Recipient, Bronze Star Recipient, Silver Star Recipient, Medal of Honor Recipient and Veteran. The Veteran ones are all generic, in that it does not matter what service you were a member of, you just have to show that you were in a combat zone and earned a campaign badge or something of that nature. They require that you present your DD214 that shows all that information.

Here is my plates (I did darken out some of the numbers though, just not something I want to post on the net).

Attachments

• v12.jpg
    v12.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Well done Charles.

The only one having personalized plates here is the King.

In Virginia you can get over 300 personalized license plates. Colleges, Pro-life, Pro-choice, military, Veteran, Real estate, State flower, Bird or Insect, Religious, Atheist, 4-H, Fraternal organizations or just about anything you can squeeze into eight letters. Can't be obscene, racist or derogatory. FYI, some guy is in court right now over the plate "ICU HAJI". A local Arab group is objecting to the plate. "Haji" is a derogatory term used to identify Arabs.

Charles

Agreed Matt, that is going overboard. There are a million such examples of something meaning one thing in one country, something else in another - no relevance whatsoever to the other's meaning.

Classic example: 'Kaka' is cake in Sweden and 2 types of parrot in New Zealand, but means 'poo' or 'crap' in German! My Austrian mates loved our giant parrot's name (Kakapo - Night parrot), to them that means 'crap @ss' :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back