VL Myrsky

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mangrove

Airman
Nov 6, 2004
These are from a Finnish Pilot's Manual printed in 1944. As you may can see many of the instruments are taken from Bf-109's spares. Better general views can be obtained from Jukka Raunio's book "Lentäjän näkökulma I".

Attachments

• Kuva001.jpg
    Kuva001.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2,021
  • Kuva002.jpg
    Kuva002.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,691
  • Kuva003.jpg
    Kuva003.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 2,055
  • Kuva004.jpg
    Kuva004.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,718
  • Kuva005.jpg
    Kuva005.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,808
Those are some cool pictures Mangrove, thanks.

Thanks very much.

Ps. The Keski-Suomen Ilmailumuseo has three or four fuselages from the second batch of Myrskys. This mean the Myrsky is one of three aircraft models made by the Valtion Lentokonetehdas in which no completed aircraft haven't preserved (the others are I.V.L C.25 and VL Paarma).

According latest news on March 2013, The Aviation Museum Society of Finland will lead a new project to build one Myrsky II fighter during 2014-2019. The goal is to get the fighter ready on July 2019. Luckily there are still a lot of components available in different Finnish aviation museums, for example some fuselages, original radial engines, gauges, fuel tanks, propeller etc.

ilmailumuseoyhdistys

VL Myrsky II -projekti - ilmailumuseoyhdistys - Uutiset

Thank You very much,

I am waiting very much that date when it will be ready. I read that there are three Myrsky fuselages that can be used for this project. One fuselage is from this fighter (Finnish Air Force code MY-5)

gmyrsky2.jpg

The Aviation Museum Society will start later raising funds for the project.

Always like to hear of such efforts. Although completion by 2018 is great news, schedules in the restoration business are pretty "fluid" due to unforeseen issues popping up.

Thanks for posting.

I can try to tell little bit about this fighter. Sorry that my English is not good enought.

Finnish "Tied.Lev.Lv 12" (Reconnaissance Squadron number 12) was first squadron which got these fighters on August 1944 at Mensuvaara airport. Photo above was actually taken at Mensuvaara war airport. Mensuvaara was one of most important operation airfield on Finnish-Soviet eastern front. The airfield situated near the big lake of Ladoga.
Myrsky II fighter coded MY-5 (picture above) was one of first arrived fighters. First weeks pilots were trained to these new fighters. They also trained in the air by dogfighting with other Finnish airforce ("second line") fighters like Curtiss Hawk 75 and with a captured Soviet LaGG-3 fighter. These dogfights showed that Myrsky was faster in speed and climbed also faster than an old Hawk 75A. On the other hand Hawk 75A could make tighter turns than a Myrsky. What comes to Soviet LaGG-3 fighter, Myrsky was little bit faster and much rapid in turns than LaGG-3.
12 000 hours is huge work to do. Long time ago here was very similiar project. A Fokker D XXI fighter was built by a small team. It took ten years to built it and now you can find it at The Aviation Museum of Central Finland.
I guess that for Myrsky project we have much more voluntary work available. So I believe that the fighter can be ready on 2018. It is estimated that whole material (+ devicec and work??) for this project will costs 76 000 euro (104 000 US dollars). I guess that it is not much.

According to a web page, For example making brand new NACA cowling will cost 1500 euro, main landing gear 10 000 euro, Digitalisation of original paper drawings 15 000 euro etc………

VL Myrsky II -entisöintiprojekti | VL Myrsky II -entisöintiprojekti

Here you can find the very first new produced Myrsky part. It is some kind of wooden rudder part with a original metal supporting parts. Photos 27.11.2013.

Blogi | VL Myrsky II -entisöintiprojekti

It was also thought to built two VL Myrsky II fighter at the same time. You know, if you produced new parts for one plane, it is not a big job make extra parts as well. It was found that there are no space for two Myrsky II fighter in Finland. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back