VMFA-323 Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is kind of an odd thread that could go in a couple different places, but since it will chronicle the remainder of the build of my F-18, I put it here. Feel free to move it of course if you disagree Mods!

So here's what I've collected so far of VMFA-323 related items:

DSC_0453.jpg

Hasegawa 1/48 F-8E Crusader

DSC_0465.jpg

1/48 Crusader decals for F-8E BuNo 150298 of then VMF(AW)-323 during Operation Green Wave June, 1963 from Fox One

DSC_0466.jpg

Hasegawa 1/48 F-4B/N Phantom II

DSC_0471.jpg

1/48 F-4 Decals, Eagle Strike Phantoms Phorever Part 7 for an F-4N of VMF-323. I can't find a review or better photos of this, and it's in the mail so I don't have it yet.

EP48112.jpg

1/48 F4U-4 decals, Aeromaster Mid-Life Corsairs Part 1, for BuNo 96845 between July 1950 and February 1951.

DSC_0458.jpg

1/48 Hobby Boss F/A-18C of VMFA-323, CAG.

DSC_0461.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0463.jpg

So I've got almost everything together! I just wish we could put of build threads for the Cold War build as the F-8, F-4 and F4U will all be part of it!

Here's the catch though, I don't actually have an F4U-4. I've seen the Academy one kicking around, but is that the best kit out there?

Should be interesting Cory. Why don't you just include one of them in the Cold War GB? Far as I know, the Academy Corsair is pretty good. The only others I know of that Mark are the Heller and old Monogram versions, the latter needing quite a bit of work to get it to look good, but no bad when done. Haven't seen the Heller kit, only a built example, and I think the Academy probably scores.

Sweet stuff mate! The F4, based aboard the USS Coral Sea CV(A)-43 perhaps? 8)

Edit: I think that Hasegawa has a F4U-4, but that's an old molding with raised panel lines....

Last edited:
Thanks Jan, and that's the one!

On another note:

OH MY GOD I JUST FOUND THOSE G*D****D DECALS FOR THE F-4 FROM THAT SOURCE THAT LIVES 5 MINUTES AWAY FROM ME FOR HALF THE PRICE I ENDED UP PAYING WITH SHIPPING! RAGE! The only thing that soothes the pain a little bit is that it was put up on Ebay AFTER I ordered them, but still...

Ahem, back to our regular programming...

These came in the mail today!

IMG0001.jpg

I've also had a hard time finding an F4U-4, though I'm going to call a place out east in Ontario and see if they have anything.

Nevermind, found one here at a store I forgot about! :lol:

Last edited:
That's good to know! I was doing research and it seemed both the Hasegawa and Academy ones seemed fairly equal, except the Academy has engraved lines. That's the one I was able to find, I'm going to go pick it up today.

Gotta love idiots...

So I go to the store I put the F4U-4 on hold at and ask for it. Apparently they never had any Academy F4Us, despite the fact he REPEATED Academy back to me in confirmation. He must have mixed it up with the Revell one, which is fine, mistakes happen. But what gets me is there wasn't even one of those on hold for me, they just didn't do anything. So now I get to order one in because there aren't any in the city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back