WACO Tow cable

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gary Cain

Senior Airman
Nov 25, 2022
Never seen one of these before. I just bought the estate from a WWII glider pilot and this is one of the artifacts he kept. It's either from his first successful launch, or D-Day.

Not sure which one.

Attachments

• 20230108_164732.jpg
    20230108_164732.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
I'm not sure what the length is, to be honest. I think it is part of the cable, not the whole thing. I need to find the manual for them.

I have a huge mass of paperwork to go through. He also had two of the portholes. One of which was turned into a picture frame.

Never seen any of those either.

And definitely not newish. Been in his footlocker for 75ish years. It was at the bottom.

Everything above is absolutely period.

Never seen one of these before. I just bought the estate from a WWII glider pilot and this is one of the artifacts he kept. It's either from his first successful launch, or D-Day.

Not sure which one.
Could it be a weak link? Glider tow lines in modern days have a weak link attached or built in so that in case of accidental restraint, the tow rope will set the two planes apart. Or, maybe it is just a keep sake example?

Could it be a weak link? Glider tow lines in modern days have a weak link attached or built in so that in case of accidental restraint, the tow rope will set the two planes apart. Or, maybe it is just a keep sake example?
I think you may be on to something. There is a picture online that shows one end of this attached to the tow plane. I believe you are correct that this is a breakaway in case of emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back