war emergency power and performance test

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thedab

Airman 1st Class
Apr 21, 2013
norwich
Hi i'm Ian this is my first post,what I like to know is, the boscombe down performance tests for mk9 spitfire. i.e max speed and stuff.

was it done with W.E.P. (war emergency power ) or done without W.E.P.

They were based on 'Combat' limitations for the engine. ie: five minute limit (as per the Pilot's Notes handbooks).

3000 rpm, +15 boost (Merlin 61) and +18 boost (Merlin 66).

Hi i'm Ian this is my first post,what I like to know is, the boscombe down performance tests for mk9 spitfire. i.e max speed and stuff.

was it done with W.E.P. (war emergency power ) or done without W.E.P.

Which particular tests are you interested in?

WWII Aircraft Performance is where you should go if you want to look up the original tests.

The RAF didn't really have a 'war emergency power' setting.

As Greyman posted, they had a 'combat rating' with a five minute limit.

For the Merlin 61 (fitted to the F Mk IX), this was +15 lbs of boost, giving approximately 1,565 hp.
For the Merlin 63A and 66 (fitted to LF MK IX) this was +18 lbs of boost, giving approximately 1,720 hp.
For the Merlin 63 and 70 (fitted to the F Mk IX and HF Mk IX) this was +18 lbs of boost, giving approximately 1,710 hp.
Later in the war, the Merlin 66 was cleared for +25 lbs of boost when using 150 octane fuel. This gave the engine approximately 2,020 hp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back