War with Germany inevitable? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry guys, have not read all of the thread, so my apologies if i am not relevant.

My opnion is that it was never a certainty that the US would enter the war, until Pearl harbour. Moreover, the gradual change in public opnion was no accident. America did not "drift" towards supporting the british, they were steered to that point, principally by Roosevelt and his administration, and carefully supported by Churchill. Getting the US into the war on the side of the allies was Churchills number one foreign policy objewctive after the fall offrance. Everything he said and did was aimed , very carefully at bringing the US and its public opinion ever closer to the british star.

Hitler, on the other hand, could care less about US public opinion, and paid virtually no attention to it. Its not that he actively sought war with the US, its just that he didnt do much to avoid it. And the perception of the US, at least in the German leaderships eyes, was that it was a weak and decadent society, preoccupied with the luxuries of life, and not able to bring itself to serious warlike endeavours. It was a nation well adapted to building automobiles and toasters, but incapable of building wqarships and combat aircraft.

How wrong the Germans got that part of the equation

I just believe this would be a escalating situation with no peaceful end to the situation. I do not see Germany allowing merchant shipping to flow into England, and I do not see the U.S. ceasing shipping supplies into England. Germany cannot allow those supplies to reach England. I see it going along the same turn of events as WW1. Sooner or later, there is going to be a event that breaks the camels back so to speak.

Was a war of escalation in the offing?

Diddy, in my opinion, in the scenario you propose, probably yes. that is the casus belli hitler needed to avoid. my point in the earlier threads was that germany need to keep the US out of the war until it was more prepared to deal with us. let england have all the supplies it wants, thet're still effectively impotent. If England attacks, they become the aggressor. use that to strengthen pro-german feeling in the US. support Rommel and secure the mid-east oil fields. pacify continental europe and rebuild and resupply the Wehrmacht, develop better aircraft and tanks, complete the V-2 program. do anything and everything to buy time and avoid a two front war.

I just believe this would be a escalating situation with no peaceful end to the situation. I do not see Germany allowing merchant shipping to flow into England, and I do not see the U.S. ceasing shipping supplies into England. Germany cannot allow those supplies to reach England. I see it going along the same turn of events as WW1. Sooner or later, there is going to be a event that breaks the camels back so to speak.

I don't think much shipping was going direct from US to the UK , I could be very mistaken but believe most was shipped from Halifax . As a point of interest most of the aircraft sold to the UK were landed on airstrips that crossed the US /Canadian border . They were left there by the US crews and dragged across (stolen) the border ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back