Warburton's War by Tony Spooner

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jtm55

Airman
Jun 20, 2009
Hi All

Wing Commander Adrian Warburton DSO Bar, DFC Two Bars was a Royal Air Force pilot during World War II. He was a photo reconnaissance pilot who shot down 9 planes flying Martin Marylands Bristol Beaufighters.

What a fantastic pilot. He is legendary for His exploits on Malta from 1940 to 1943.
I'm ashamed to say that i hadn't heard about Him only came upon Warburton's War by chance.

Do any of you here know about Wing Commander Adrian Warburton? I have heard read about Wing Commander Guy Gibson, Wing Commander Douglas Bader all three attended St Edward's , Oxford. He was unorthodox, however, He always got the photos he was sent to get. it's a shame He hasn't received the recognition He deserves.
Anyway i think Warburtons War is a good book gives a fascinating look into a truly great man

From what I've read about Warburton, he was certainly unconventional. One imagines him being a real handful for his bosses. I believe the wreckage of the F-5 (P-38 variant not the lightweight jet fighter) in which he lost his life was recently (ie within the past 5 years or so) discovered. The other interesting thing I discovered reading about Warburton was how effective the Maryland was as a PR aircraft - it was fast and very resilient, the latter is testified to by the damage that Warburton's aircraft sustained during some of his sorties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back