Warsaw pact's 'Tigershark'?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
In 1976, Soviets received the F-5E from Vietnam. They evaluated it, both for flight characteristics and technology involved; some features even found the way in the Su-27 (the F-5E was handed to Sukhoi in 1977 for evaluation). Maneuverability was found to be outstanding.
So let's say that Soviets say: okay, the baseline design has potential, and if we modify it for a single but a more powerful engine (RD-33 in this case), we might have a fighter to replace the vast inventory of MiG-21s on budget and on time, both in W-P airforces and in other countries. We can offer it for license production in Poland, Czechoslovakia and India. Obviously it will sport the Soviet electronics, missiles and gun, plus the canted air intakes for better high AoA engine breathing. Fighter enters series production in 1983.

What could be the gains if they do this program, who might benefit the most from the 'Tigrovaya akula'; who might not like it (whether at home or abroad)?

"Obviously it will sport the Soviet electronics, missiles and gun, plus the canted air intakes for better high AoA engine breathing. "

Pilots and aircraft factories (if licensed) in Warsaw Pact countries might benefit.
Some Soviet avionic manufacturers and so-called NII (R&D offices) might hate it. Because they dragged their feet sat on their asses worked so hard to promote their bulky ugly fine products and hoped for bonuses and awards... Leninskaya Premiya prize was 10,000 rubles. In 1976 it was equal to 4,5-5 annual average salary. No Volga for me next year, damned Yankees!

Just for info.
This guy has settled one of the critical problems of MiG-15s in the Korean War and he risked his career and freedom:
Мацкевич, Вадим Викторович — Википедия
Passive radar invented by him was welcomed by pilots but vilified by Soviet scientists, researchers, and fellow engineers. His boss and MGB (KGB) were flooded with accusation reports. Despite the radar acceptance and mass production, persecutions and intrigues against him lasted for several years.

Pilots and aircraft factories (if licensed) in Warsaw Pact countries might benefit.
Some Soviet avionic manufacturers and so-called NII (R&D offices) might hate it. Because they dragged their feet sat on their asses worked so hard to promote their bulky ugly fine products and hoped for bonuses and awards... Leninskaya Premiya prize was 10,000 rubles. In 1976 it was equal to 4,5-5 annual average salary. No Volga for me next year, damned Yankees!

Roger that :)

This guy has settled one of the critical problems of MiG-15s in the Korean War and he risked his career and freedom:
Passive radar invented by him was welcomed by pilots but vilified by Soviet scientists, researchers, and fellow engineers. His boss and MGB (KGB) were flooded with accusation reports. Despite the radar acceptance and mass production, persecutions and intrigues against him lasted for several years.

It took me a while to sift through that. That 'passive radar' was actually a RWR - radar warning receiver.
Passive radar is something else - a device that uses reflections of other radio-emitters reflected on fast-moving objects - and it is often the size of a building.
But indeed, a life of anyone going 'against the grain' in the Soviet Union was many times ... dangerous. Comrade Vadim had a way to express his disagreement with official policies that made him very visible on the figurative radar screen of USSR aparatchiks more than it was needed.

Last edited:
It took me a while to sift through that. That 'passive radar' was actually a RWR - radar warning receiver.

You are right, of course. I had to put the "passive radar" in brackets in my earlier post. That was a definition in the earlier Soviet technical literature, later changed to a more correct SPO (Stantsiay Preduprezhdeniya ob Obluchenii which can be translated as Emission Warning Station).

Possible sales for the 'Yak-120' ;)
- Warsaw pact minus Soviet Union: hundreds required to replace the MiG-21 inventory
- Yugoslavia: 100+, if not 150+ depending on how the Orao project develops
- Algeria, Libya, Syria, Iraq, N. Korea, Angola, Cuba: again hundreds
- India: many hundreds to replace the MiG-21s, likely no buying of MiG-29 and possibly of Mirage 2000; licence production makes sense

"Obviously it will sport the Soviet electronics, missiles and gun, plus the canted air intakes for better high AoA engine breathing. "

Just for info.

Translated version:
Google Translate

I worked in Russia a few years ago and reflect that these were a friendly civilized people and wondered how the murderous insane phase happened. Then I look at political correctness, tolerance culture, critical race theory and the CPC struggle sessions we are now seeing in universities, the US media in the last presidential election and I see we are in danger of heading down the same kind of route very easily. We too can loose the logos.

Then I look at political correctness, tolerance culture, critical race theory and the CPC struggle sessions we are now seeing in universities, the US media in the last presidential election and I see we are in danger of heading down the same kind of route very easily.

What the hell this has to do with anything that takes place in this forum?
Damn.

Why bother interjecting when you haven't read the posts in question?

I have read the posts, and I have read the Wikipedia entry about Vadim.
You, on the other hand, use every opportunity to push political agendas, whether they are about today, or about earlier eras.

Possible sales for the 'Yak-120' ;)
- Warsaw pact minus Soviet Union: hundreds required to replace the MiG-21 inventory
- Yugoslavia: 100+, if not 150+ depending on how the Orao project develops
- Algeria, Libya, Syria, Iraq, N. Korea, Angola, Cuba: again hundreds
- India: many hundreds to replace the MiG-21s, likely no buying of MiG-29 and possibly of Mirage 2000; licence production makes sense

I'd add Vietnam to the list. Probably, China - but in post-Soviet era, in early 1990.
One squadron in Finland? Instead of MiG-21 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back