Was MK-108 ever installed in Bf-109s?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
For sake of clarification: was the jack hammer ever installed as the motor cannon in 109s?

I do not think so. I believe it was used in the engine block of Do 335s and that is it. It was used by other aircraft in gondolas under the wing.

I might be wrong, but I think that is correct.

The Mk 108 however was used in the Bf 109.

Thanks for the reply.

Will the moderator please change the gun name from the title to the MK-108 (so, the short 30mm gun)?

Thanks for the reply.

Will the moderator please change the gun name from the title to the MK-108 (so, the short 30mm gun)?

Yeah, I always get those two mixed up, too; the Mk 108 was the short-barrelled (kurz) version of the 30mm cannon (the kind used in the Me 262), and the Mk 103 was the long-barrelled (lang) version (and was usually used in under-wing gondola installations).

They are entirely different designs. Different operating principle, different ammunition etc. About the only thing they have in common is the calibre.

Just like a G3, AK-47 and Mosin Nagant are all "7.62mm" rifles, but are all completely different.

They also used the same projectiles for the most part, and had the same Manufacturer.
The MK 108 operated by API Blowback, like the Oerlikon guns. (the MG FF being a derivative of the Oerlikon FF) The MK 103 was signifcanly larger (and more than 2x the weight and greater bulk) and operated by a combination of gas and recoil.

Here's a picture showing both to scale. (they are obviously very different weapons)
CANNON OR MACHINE GUN
AMgundrawJ.jpg

Bf109 K-4 guns mounting
a. 13mm Rheinmetall Borsig MG 131
b. 30mm Rheinmetall Borsig MK 108
c. 13mm magazine
d. 30mm magazine
e. trigger
f. ReviC/12D gun sight

Attachments

• Bf109_K4wMK108.gif
    Bf109_K4wMK108.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 509
I beleive Erich postedin another thread that the MK 108 was unpopular on nightfighters as it was too powerful. There was a high risk of debris from the target hitting the attacker at close range. (particularly for the "Schräge Musik" placement)

The 20 mm MG 151/20 and the MG FF (still used in "Schräge Musik" late in the war) were preferred.
The high velocity MK 103 may have been a possibility as it allowed possible hits at safer ranges. (though I beleive the 20 mm was considered poweful enough and the 30 mm as overkill)

The MK 108 also produced a pronounced muzzle flash at night, which made it unpopular aswell.

Sure it was, in the G-4/u4, G-6/u4, G-10 and K-4 variants.

Never heard of a G-4/U4, the MK 108 was introduced in the G-6/U4 in autumn 1943. There may have been a G-5/U4 (pressurized version of the G-6). The standard G-10 was armed with the 2 cm MG 151, only the G-10/U4 subvariant had the MK 108. Some G-8 were said to have used the MK 108 as the only armament but I can't believe this - wasting a powerful gun on a recon bird where the 2 cm MG 151 would provide way enough power.
The K-4 was armed with the MK 108 (and two 13 mm MG 131) but some may have been equipped with the 20 mm MG 151 instead of the MK 108 (lack of guns?). Some authors still believe the K-4 was armed with the MK 103 engine cannon and MG 151 in the cowl position :evil: .
The MK 103 was just too long to fit into the section behind the engine in the Bf 109.

The MK 103 was AFAIK used in the Ta 152C engine block as well as in the Do 335 (as mentioned earlier).

I will post my question here to avoid opening a topic.

- Does anyone know the first Luftwaffe unit to use MK-108? it seems that first successful attacks took place in 1944 according to "The Luftwaffe Over Germany: The Defense of the Reich".

Never heard of a G-4/U4, the MK 108 was introduced in the G-6/U4 in autumn 1943.

Can anyone confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back