Was the p39 ever modified by their crews?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Greziz

Recruit
Nov 6, 2009
Basically I am curious if any one can link me some solid info on any sorta modifications the p39 was subjected to by the pilots who flew it or their crews for the combats it saw anything from removing armor to adding guns or changing out engines I am having one hell of a hard time finding some real good sources on this even though I am fairly sure this aircraft recieved some of the most modifications outta many of the aircraft in ww2

Basically I am curious if any one can link me some solid info on any sorta modifications the P-39 was subjected to by the pilots who flew it or their crews for the combats it saw anything from removing armor to adding guns or changing out engines I am having one hell of a hard time finding some real good sources on this even though I am fairly sure this aircraft recieved some of the most modifications outta many of the aircraft in ww2
Hi Greziz
I can't find any evidence of field mods to the P-39
To be fair, with the exception of removing armour, the 'mods' you suggested were a little beyond the scope of ground crews and 'changing out engines' wasn't to the best of my knowledge attempted with any major fighter of WWII, let alone the P-39. The P-51 transitioned from the Allison to the Merlin but that was hardly a field mod.

The Soviets used the P-39 far more extensively than her Allies and even they seemed happy enough with her in her standard config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back