Wash and let dry! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Most instructions advise to wash the parts in a mild detergent and let them air dry before starting the build. This. I assume, is to get rid of the molding release agents?

I'm not sure about the rest of you modelers, but my fingers will, during build, deposit oils on the parts again. Short of wearing cotton gloves I'm not sure how one would prevent this?

I have completed two models where I have not per-washed the parts, building them, and before doing any finishing, swab with a Q-tip 90% alcohol on the surfaces to be painted. I'm not looking for validation, but would like to hear anyone's opinion on the benefits of the instruction suggested pre-wash?

That's true a couple of modelmakers can box a kit parts covered with an oil. In the case washing of all parts is needed. However it is not a problem and keeping clean hands for farther assembling is enough usually. The washing with the 90% alcohol and Q-tips is a good idea and can be useful for preparation for painting. Personally, instead of Q-tips I use a small soft rag soaked with a paint thinner or just some of soap and warm water. When washing is done I try to not touch the washed parts or model with fingers. But if it is required I use a small, , clean, dry and soft rag for handling with.

Last edited:
Built about 50-60 models and washed one after it was put together, an early ICM 1/48 kit. Haven't had a problem......yet. One thing I do though before I start working on a model is wash my hands with dish soap, starting full strength. That stuff removes anything.

I have always washed the sprue trees in dish soap. While building I usually wear a pair of latex gloves. My skin is naturally very oily, when I was a kid I was the poster boy for acne! So I find wearing the gloves helps avoid messing the surfaces up. The gloves are very thin so I loose no tactile sensation and they actually contribute to a better grip, at least for me.

But I have built models without doing so as well. I have yet to experience to problem either way. I think its mostly a matter of preference or perhaps some kits have more release agent left over than others?

For injection molded plastic models:
I never wash the parts before assembly.
I paint interiors unwashed in any reagent, primer goes straight onto plastic. These areas will never get handled after assembly and the same resilience in the finish is not so important. I've never had a problem doing things this way.
After all major construction and once ready for final painting, I always wipe the plastic with alcohol (ipa) before priming. Subsequently, during the painting process, I handle the model with cheap latex free gloves.

For resin models:
I have had issues with mold release agents in some resin kits.
I wash all the parts with detergent and wipe them with alcohol before assembly. This is no great chore as the parts count is usually substantially lower.
Once ready for final painting it's on with the gloves again.

I paint using old fashioned enamels (Sovereign Hobbies/Humbrol/Modelmaster/Xtracolour)

Like the need for primer, you will find as many opinions as model makers you ask. I just stick with what works for me, and everyone else will probably do the same.

Cheers

Steve

I try and clean parts both while still on the sprue and again just before painting, but sometimes I forget or it's not practical.

I haven't really had any problems the times I didn't clean parts EXCEPT for one kit which I primed with Vallejo PU Primer, paint was tearing off left right and centre. I stopped using Vallejo PU primer and haven't had the same problem since, if I were going to use that primer again I'd make sure to clean parts properly before painting them.

The Tempest I'm currently working on you can actually feel some parts have oil on them (certainly not the whole kit, just bits and pieces) so I'm cleaning that up before painting.

I don't wash my sprues unless there is a noticeable need to. I've had a few kits (Trumpeter) that had a greasy feel to the parts so I washed in my kitchen sink with warm water and dish soap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back