Wasn't the STUKA the best dive bomber to see service in WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the Dauntless will get this one. Although the Stuka gave the image of German invincibility, it was the SBD, in one decisive battle that really came through when it had to.

I think it would of been cool to be an SBD gunner, silk scarf, goggles, cigar - yep! 8)

Attachments

• colrgunr_202.gif
    colrgunr_202.gif
    39.7 KB · Views: 686
Although i prefer the look of the SBD, I think the Stuka had the greater impact in the war, especially the early stages through Poland France, It put the wind up anyone who was on the receiving end. Obvously, when it came up against fighters it stood little chance, and was withdrawn from the battle of britain because of this, but it still proved its worth in russia - as flown by the likes of Hans Ulrich Rudel who was the highest decorated pilot in the Luftwaffe - he destroyed millions of pounds worth of hardware.

But the SBD played a massive part in destroying the IJNs carriers - more than anything else, that decised the war in the Pacific. And Id argue that the Tiffy, IL2 and Jug were far better in the CAS role than the Stuka, both in performance, and in the havoc they caused amongst thier victims.

True, as did the TBD. But they werent dive bombers ;) And , I still think that the SBDs role in destroying the IJN as a fighting force was greater than the Stukas part in winning the Blitzkreig...although I suppose that is another thread :)

Bomb Taxi said, "And Id argue that the Tiffy, IL2 and Jug were far better in the CAS role than the Stuka, both in performance, and in the havoc they caused amongst thier victims. "

Uh oh. Here we go again. I hope Udet doesn't see this. (See the thread entitled, "The ETO's finest single engined ground attack aircraft")

BombTaxi said:
True, as did the TBD. But they werent dive bombers ;) And , I still think that the SBDs role in destroying the IJN as a fighting force was greater than the Stukas part in winning the Blitzkreig...although I suppose that is another thread :)

DOUGLAS SBD DAUNTLESS - WORLD'S LARGEST DISTRIBUTOR OF USED JAPANESE AIRCRAFT CARRIER PARTS! 8)

Attachments

• hiru_361.jpg
    hiru_361.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 598
  • daunt_118.jpg
    daunt_118.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 636
CC that is quite incorrect the Stuka did quite well with no air superiority and I have covered that fully in it's night time role. funny during Kursk the D's and the new G's made mince meat out of the Soviet armor columns and in almost all cases was no Luftwaffe air cover as the fighters had homed in on Il-2's and other Soviet fighter junk heaps.....

E ~ being cuatious as I expect an attack soon :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back