Wasn't the STUKA the best dive bomber to see service in WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The P.108 did have that hideous bump yeah, but it still looks better than the Lancaster, only just though. And I know the Windsor didnt see service, I was just making a point 8)

Naw, the P.108C is sexy! 8)

2_1.jpg

Stuka Effectiveness:

Inscription: Bombenvolltreffer auf Tankzug – A direct bomb-hit on the tank-wagon, Stabia LFL 2, July 15th, 1941. Photo taken by colonel Hans Ruef.

Original photography is nowadays included into Photo Library of the German Air Force. It was captured by US Air Force investigators.

Stukavolltreffer.jpg

I think the SBD was the best dive-bomber of wwii. Although the stuka could carry more bombs, was more accurate, and even had things such as a horn to weaken morale, it was too slow and exposed to enemy fighters. Not to mention that the fighting in
Europe had much more advance aircraft than the Pacific.
As for the D3A or even the D4Y, both of them were poorly armored making them even more exposed to anti-aircraft and the 6 .50 cals of most american fighters.
So what made the SBD the best? Compared to the stuka it had more range, a much better defensive armament, more armor, and wasn't so behind in payload (1600lbs to the stuka's 2,205lbs). And do I even have to compare the SBD with the Val?

'Fraid I'm going to buck the trend and go for the Vengeance....just to be contrary!

I know the SBD and Stuka had bigger operational impacts but the Vengeance, with its cranked wing, is just a cool looking beast. And it operated over Burma which makes it 8) in my book.

'Fraid I'm going to buck the trend and go for the Vengeance....just to be contrary!

I know the SBD and Stuka had bigger operational impacts but the Vengeance, with its cranked wing, is just a cool looking beast. And it operated over Burma which makes it 8) in my book.

For once we agree....the Vengeance was the unsung hero of the Pacific in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back