Waterloo 2017

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
I've been here before, it's about 1.5 hours drive from my home, but I thought you would enjoy some pictures of these famous battle ground. For those of you who have been sleeping through the history class at school: Waterloo is of course where Napoleon met his Waterloo, he lost, was beaten, total looser, he's dead now, by the way.

Anyway, here some pictures
20170408_1138.jpg

Wellington's headquarters in the center of Waterloo. His headquarters were considerably larger than Napoleon's.
20170408_1209.jpg

The lion stands on an artificial hill, 40 meters high. It's erected on the spot where prince Willem, the later King Willem II of the Netherlands got wounded in battle.
20170408_1145.jpg

From the hill, you've got a nice overview over the battlefield. Here one of the famous castle-farms, La Haye Sainte. They King's German Legion, fought an heroic battle in that farm, only a few survived. It's amazing that all those famous buildings are still standing. Especially Hougoumont, which will come in the next post.
20170408_1149.jpg

From the hill you have a great view of the battlefield. Here looking to the south, towards Napoleon's headquarters. To the right, the road to Hougoumont. It's not very clear, but actually the fields here have a slope down to the south. The allies were, on higher ground, which is the benefit of being able to choose the place of your defense. So the French had to fight uphill.
20170408_1153.jpg

On the road to Hougoumont. Here you can see that the field is dipping down in the back. This was the British line.
20170408_1170.jpg

Hougoumont..

The battle within the battle. Protecting the west flank of the Allied line, here was the place were the fighting was the most brutal. The battle started here and it was about the the last place where it finally stopped in the evening. At least 5000 French soldiers lost their life attacking this farm and god knows how many Allied troops did not survive. It's a sobering place.

As the French must have seen the Farm. There used to be a forest here, but the trees did not survive the battle.
20170408_1175.jpg

The front and south gate. The French penetrated the defense through the gate at least once, but were thrown back.
20170408_1178.jpg

Yep, the French have been here, there is the evidence beneath the monument for the Coldstream Guards.
20170408_1180.jpg

The famous chapel is all that is left of the main building. Inside is a Jesus statue, of which the feet have been burned away by the fire.
20170408_1191.jpg

The treegrove. The ground must have been drenched in blood with all the people who died here To the right, the only monument for the French soldiers here. My brother is standing in front of it,
20170408_1198.jpg

Great stuff Marcel.
I could have gone there for the anniversary, in 2005, with my female friend, who's family then owned (and used) Wellington's coach.
They took it to the anniversary of course, along with the horses. I couldn't go, as I had a one-day lecture to present the day they were departing !

Great pics Marcel, I cant remember the details but I seem to remember Wellington being furious about modifications to the battlefield just years after it happened.

Great pics Marcel, I cant remember the details but I seem to remember Wellington being furious about modifications to the battlefield just years after it happened.
Yeah, he didn't like the enormous lion hill that the Dutch erected. He felt like they were stealing his victory. He was very touchy on that as he had been downplaying the roles of the other nationalities in the battle, claiming it a sole British victory and him as the big hero. So he did not like this huge Dutch lion at all.

Yeah, he didn't like the enormous lion hill that the Dutch erected. He felt like they were stealing his victory. He was very touchy on that as he had been downplaying the roles of the other nationalities in the battle, claiming it a sole British victory and him as the big hero. So he did not like this huge Dutch lion at all.
Ive never read that, it would be impossible for Wellington to claim a solely British victory, he would almost certainly have lost without Blucher and his Prussian army. The 300,000 cubic meters of earth used to make the mound were taken from the battlefield, this means the ridges and sunken lane used by Wellington are no longer there.

Oh, the ridge is still there all right. You can still see it.
I've been looking it up. And you are right. While Wellington and the Dutch fell out over Wellington's claim that the Dutch prince was cowardly, it doesn't seem to relate to his apparent 'grunge' against the hill. The real source of this 'grunge' seems to be the book 'Les Miserables' where Victor Hugo claims Wellington stated "They have altered my field of battle!". It was how ever never officially documented and seems to be from the fantasy of Hugo.

edit: after reading further, the claim that Wellington thought the Dutch to be cowards also seem to stem from faulty British historians in the 19th century

Last edited:
edit: after reading further, the claim that Wellington thought the Dutch to be cowards also seem to stem from faulty British historians in the 19th century

From my memory, Wellington was commander of an alliance and he was not fully aware of all soldiers capabilities/experience. He positioned regiments of Dutch soldiers alongside veteran regiments to help morale. This was before battle commenced, I cannot remember reading any negative by him towards any regiment or nationality in particular, apart from the general comment that if he had his army from Spain on the battlefield he would have beaten Napoleon without needing Von Blucher. This reflects as much on his British soldiers as any other and is not about cowardice or courage, it is about battle hardened veterans compared to inexperienced recruits.
As far as I am aware there was no sentiment of the Dutch being cowards at the time, quite the opposite in the Naval battles of the time where the Dutch were the only seamen that the British saw as equals.

The situation as I read it was similar to the RAF being reluctant to throw the Polish and Czech pilots/squadrons into the Battle of Britain.

You are right, as I said in my edit. I've read many negative British accounts on the Dutch at Waterloo, but I realise they all come from British historians years after the battle (Mr Siborn comes to mind.). I guess that's were my confusion comes from.
Probably some fool from London, I worked in London for months and never understood Londons strange relationship to "Dutchmen".

I would say it is slightly biased to the Dutch and Belgians :) . But you must admit that fictions sometimes leave a lasting impression on the masses and become 'truth' in their own right. See the negative comment from Wellington that actually comes from the imagination of Victor Hugo and all the Hollywood nonsense that is being believed now as truth.

Never heard of that one. Thanks.
That is history Marcel. I have seen a BBC program on Waterloo which contained the legend of Nathan Rothschild making a killing on the London stock market, it is a complete fabrication by anti semitic agitators which is still bandied about over 150 years later..

Nathan Mayer Rothschild - Wikipedia
Ah, never heard about that, learned something new again, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back