Werner Molders' Bf109F.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
A quick (I think!) question regarding Bf109F-2, W.Nr 5628, flown by Werner Molders on May 4, 1941, from Mardyk.
There's a rather good profile of this aircraft in the Kagero Monografie No.31 'Bf109F - Vol 1', giving the Werke Nummer as above, and showing the Gruppe Kommandeur winkel etc.
Earlier in the same volume, there is a photo of Molders in the cockpit of, presumably, the same aircraft, on the same date.
However, there is also a photo of his Bf109F-1, with the same W.Nr, before it was re-painted, and showing the delivery codes SG+GW.
The question is, was W.Nr 5628 a F-1, a F-2, or a F-1 later up-graded to F-2 standard?

Terry, when I did my "Molders " thread with the pics, that was one question that I can tell you is being hotly debated across the net. The one fact I did find was that SG+GW was an F-1. And then all hell breaks loose!!!!

Thanks Chris, that's what I've found too ! Personally, I think it would have been a F-1, later re-painted. As there appears (from photos) to be little if any external difference, including the wheel wells, I'll go with that.
Thanks for the responses chaps.

Hi guy's, Just thought I'd fit this question on the end of this topic.

Is there any evidence that Werner Mölders Bf109F-1 WNr.5628 SG+GW had a thinner and shorter variation of the supercharger intake than what is seen on other slightly later Bf109F-1? I say this because in the Kagero TopDrawings Bf109F booklet there is just a small port side view of what is captioned as a 'Bf109F-1 early' which clearly has as described above a thinner and shorter supercharger intake than the other F-0 or F-1 drawings in the booklet. Apparently Mölders received the first operational F-1 and you can't get any earlier than that? So did WNr.5628 have such a supercharger intake? :)

Surely the difference between an F-1 and F-2 is armament.
The type isn't defined by wheel wheels or supercharger intake style (some F-1s had a square one),nor the addition of armoured glass or strengthening strips at the empennage join.
Molders' aircraft was built as an F-1,whether it was subsequently upgraded will not be easily seen in photographs,or on a model.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Stona, I'm talking about the differences between Molders F-1 and other F-1s. Like the E series wing roots and the gun cameras in each wing with the additional crushed upwards MGFF ammo drum fairings under the wings which should really not be there? :)

I'd hazard a guess from the limited evidence that the "E style" wing root was common to all F-1s,being carried over from the F-0s. The square intake seems to be associated with the relatively few WNF built F-1s.
I'd never thought of looking for gun cameras in both wings! I know Molders had one in the port wing.
Cheers
Steve

Ok, they are not amended MGFF bulges but a more squared off retangular protrusion to allow camera installation. Thank's Wayne Little!

Steve, again thanks, I think both wings had the camera as both have the bulges underneath and dodgy square cut outs in the wings leading edge. On some photos the cut out's have a plate either temporarily or permanently placed over the camera aperture holes.

Difficult to tell about the wing roots as the F-1 and F-2s look so alike unless photographic evidence turns up of F-1s who's WNr.s are known its difficult to compare but I'm working on it. Thanks for your comments. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back