Western Canadian Regional Model Contest (2012)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
www.wcrmc.ca

Only a month away! Brett Green will be there - cool!

I plan to bring my Puttfarken 410 and, barring catastrophy, my Steinhoff 109F-4. Hope to meet up with some of the Edmonton boys if they go.

Yup. Not just models either. The event takes place at an aviation museum which houses a restored Mossie. I'll get lots of pics of that too hopefully. Requests are welcome.

Sounds good Andy. I'm hoping the Elvington Mossie will have its engines and other bits back on when I go in three weeks time. Got some rare shots of its naked legs and gun bay last week though.

Hopefully you don't mind if I toss in my lot of photos Andy, I'm sure you've got better or more photos of some of the subjects.

Well, it was today! I couldn't find Andy but luckily he found me so we were able to meet up, and he pointed out some "imperfections" on his 410. :lol: Grabbed a couple photos, but I'll let him deal with that and his 109. Now that I look at some of the photos, they're kinda dark, but the lighting wasn't fantastic in there as it is a WW2 era hangar.

First off, here's Andy and I when we met up, very nice to finally meet!

DSC_00302.jpg

Start with a couple big jets, both 1/32, apparently by the same individual.

Tamiya F-4E (which won the category)

DSC_00133.jpg

DSC_00143.jpg

CF-18B (can't recall the kit though)

DSC_00105.jpg

DSC_00114.jpg

DSC_00123.jpg

DSC_01041.jpg

I personally thought the Hornet was the better of the two, but then again I'm not the judge!

This was an excellent Tornado, the amount of detail put in is very good.

DSC_00075.jpg

DSC_00085.jpg

DSC_00095.jpg

I've got a bunch more which I'll post as they upload (which is slowly).

Last edited:
Great stuff Cory, love that first Phantom. The Tornado is quite good too, but unless the re-paint in 'Desert Pink' covered everything, the modeller has missed the area of the wing which 'goes inside' when fully swept, which was dark grey.

Well, just finished downloading 222 pictures and spent a bit of time photoshopping some selected ones to lighten the pitcures and remove some of the colour cast. As Cory said, the lighting was awful and inconsistent.

To catch up with Cory's remarks and to add to what he's already done, here are a few of my own snaps. The Phantom and F18 were the only 2 models entered in the 1/32 Super Detailed Jet Category. The Phantom is Tamiya and the F-18B is by Academy. I believe both were from the same guy, the F18 having been entered in last year's Alberta Military Model Show and I posted pics of the same model in that thread so I didn't take lots of pics of it this time.

F-18B Academy.jpg

Tamiya F4E 1.jpg

Tamiya F4E 2.jpg

Tamiya F4E 3.jpg

The Tornado GR1 is the only entry int he 1/48 Super Detailed Multi Jet category and is by Italeri. This model won the Best in Show for Ground Attack aircraft.

Italeri Tornado GR1 1.jpg

Italeri Tornado GR1 2.jpg

As for my entries, we'll start with the 410 which many of you held high hopes for. Personally, I knew that this model had a fair number of flaws that, if pitted against strong competition, would cause this entry to place further down the list - and so it did. There were 4 entries in this 1/48 Super Detailed Multi Prop category.

Gold went to this immaculate Tamiya Mosquito Mk VI:

Tamiya Mosquito Mk VI Gold 1.jpg

Tamiya Mosquito Mk VI Gold 2.jpg

The Silver award went to this beautifully done Monogram Mitchell

Monogram Mitchell Silver 1.jpg

Monogram Mitchell Silver 2.jpg

My 410 came in 3rd, taking the bronze:

Revell Me 410A-1_U-2 Bronze.jpg

Honourable mention went to this nice Tamiya Mk II Lancaster

Tamiya Lancaster Mk II 1.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster Mk II 2.jpg

My Steinhoff Bf109F-4 faired better, taking Gold in the 1/48 Super Detailed Single Prop category:

ICM Bf109F4 Steinhoff Gold.jpg

In second place, this Hobbycraft Sea Fury in Burmese markings. This one was also an entry at last year's Military Model Show.

HobbyCraft Sea Fury Burma Silver 1.jpg

HobbyCraft Sea Fury Burma Silver 2.jpg

Bronze went to this Airfix RCN Seafire MkXV, with a neat little scratch built leather jacket hanging on the canopy.

Airfix Seafire Mk XV Bronze 2.jpg

Airfix Seafire Mk XV Bronze 1.jpg

Runners up were this Hasegawa Bf109G-12, which I rather liked, and a Tamiya Spitfire MkV in the rather unuaul markings flown by Buzz Beurling over Malta.

Hasegawa Bf109G12.jpg

Tamiya Spitfire V Beurling.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back