Western Canadian Regional Model Contest (2013) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Another year has gone by and it's time again to post some highlights from this year's show for those of you who are interested. This contest now alternates between two locations and this year it was again held at the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton, Alberta. Apart form the model show itself, the museum's Lancaster was rolled out and they ran 3 of the 4 Merlins for the first time for the public. Also featured was a working Bristol Hercules engine, one of 4 that will go into a Halifax that the museum is restoring.

13060305.jpg

Anyway, on with the highlights. I need to start by apologizing for the quality of the pictures. I have struggled at every one of these events to get the pictures right. These shows are plagued with poor lighting and I like to take my SLR with a 28-200mm zoom and a 50mm macro. For depth of field I like to shoot at F16 or higher and this year I neglected to bring the tripod. So even with the ASA set at 1600, I had quite a few pictures that blurred due to a shaky table or a shaky Andy.

This year, I'll batch these pictures up a bit more so we'll get through them quicker. I'll start here with the 1/48 Superdetailed Multi-Engined Jet category.

13060301.jpg

Only 3 entries showed up in this category, including my Ar234 just completed for GB17. The Ar234 took third. First went to a Swedish TSR2 made specially for Jan and second to an Su27. I didn't catch the kit manufacturers unfortunately.

13060302.jpg

13060304.jpg

13060303.jpg

Great start Andy, and some nice models. In that very first pic, showing the general area, how fast was that Lanc going, to get through the wall like that!

Haha! That's actually an interesting exhibit Terry - a fully functional rear turret (without the bullets).

Actually, I might have made a booboo. That Grumman Intruder and the F-18 must have been part of this batch so I guess there were 5 in the category. here they are:

13060304.jpg
13060305.jpg

I agree. The Intruder is a bit overdone on the weathering, but still nice. But what happened to the canopy/windscreen frames? Perhaps a junior or novice modeller?
And the Swedish TSR2 - are the Swedish roundels upside down? I'm probably wrong, and no doubt Jan will correct me (after he's finished drooling over the model), but I thought the crowns went the other way - one up, two down ?

Thanks Andy. So if it's not a junior, or a novice, I wonder why the canopy frames were left unpainted on the Intruder? Ah well, probably a reason I suppose.

Love the TSR concept, but I would have given the nod to the F-18F based on the pics ofcourse. I'm sure the judges had their reasons that I cannot see. I too think that the A-6 is a novice (who has LOTS of future potential!). Well done all.

We need a "What if?" Group Build. That would be cool. YB-49 in Vietnam. B-29 in WWII Europe. Etc.

Last edited:
Jan can probably confirm, but I believe Sweden was a potential customer for TSR 2 before the Government of the day murdered it ...er sorry, cancelled it!
I need to check, but I think some sort of "What if?" GB has been proposed, or possibly even in the list of future GBs.

Not a big fan of "what if's" myself but I do like the camo on the TSR 2.

Moving on to the 1/48 Super-detailed single engined prop category, this was a tough one and the judges spent a lot of time looking at these entries.

13060301.jpg

There were 6 total entries, including two Doras from your's truly, White 11 from my Start to Finish thread and Black 6 from the Doras Galoras unofficial GB.

First place went to the ever-popular subject of Johnnie Johnson's Spitfire IX. Hasegawa I think.

13060303.jpg

13060307.jpg

My White 11, shown here next to the above entry, took second.

13060304.jpg

Third place looks like it was awarded as a tie to this nice Mustang and Thunderbolt

13060302.jpg

13060308.jpg

13060305.jpg

My Dora Black 6 and this "Spitwulf" did not place.

13060306.jpg

Apologies once again for the shaky pics This will be a standard disclaimer for the rest of the threads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back