Wevelgem flugplatz (The Allied story) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arneken

Airman
already opened a topic about the german side and this is his Allied counterpart.

RAF Squadrons operating out of Wevelghem.

No.2 Squadron.
15 May 1940 Detachment. (Lysander II)

No.74 Squadron.
17 September 1944. (Spitfire LFIXE)

No.329 Squadron.
17 September 1944. (Spitfire IX)

No.340 Squadron.

No.341 Squadron.

No.345 Squadron.
1 November 1944. (Spitfire HFIX)

The Allied forces liberated Wevelgem in 1944. Soon after that they found the airfield interesting for their own warfare. the damaged airfield was repaired and soon after that the first squadrons arrived.

Groupe de chasse 1/2 cicognes where one of the 2 French squadrons who staid a while in Wevelgem.

A piece about wevelgem airfield viewed from No. 151 Repair Unit.

The Merlins, Alisons and Griffons roar,
The Sabres Rattle,
The Wasps Sting,
The Cyclones Blow,
and
The little Lycomings purr away.
These engines left our good unit for those on high, flying above and around us.
In their going out and their coming safely back, the Aircrew thanks go to 151.
The story of 151 enshrines the past,
As leaf by leaf,
So day by day,
Year by year,
Reunion after reunion,
The stories of our lives unfold.
Our eyes grow dim, our hair turns grey,
Could we, but have read when 151 began
That the story of our works would stand?
Through all our days and all our nights
Until the enemies were put to flight
- Epitaph to No. 151 Repair Unit (Aircraft), 2nd Tactical Air Force,
Wevelgem, Belgium, 1944-45, by Harold E Jacobson, ex. 151RU(A)

In September 1944, three Queen Mary lorries, each loaded with an aircraft engine test bench, and a Hillman Utility loaded with emergency rations, arrived at Wevelgem Airfield, near Brussels in Belgium. This was an advance party from No. 151 Repair Unit (Aircraft) - or 151RU(A) - a detachment of the 2nd Tactical Air Force.
Wevelgem itself had had a pedigree flying history, having been used by German flying ace Baron Von Richthofen during WW1, and from 1942 by the 'Top Guns of the Luftwaffe', the JG26, under the jurisdiction of legendary Jagdgeschwader General Adolph Galland.
But in 1944, Wevelgem was back under Allied control, initially under a Free French squadron of Spitfires. By the time the main unit of No. 151 Repair Unit (Aircraft) arrived in October 1944, the advance party had already established three aircraft engine test benches in position and ready for work. Eventually, there were six benches;

1. two for the Merlins
2. one for Wright-Cyclones
3. one for a Pratt and Witney Twin Wasp
4. one for a Lycoming
5. one for Griffon engines (for the Spitfires of 610 Squadron)

In addition, a Hawker Typhoon EJ693 was adapted by 151 RU (Repair Unit) as a test bench for Napier Sabre engines. All in all, the unit was able to service nine aircraft of the 2nd Tactical Air Force, four British and five American.

1. Spitfire (British)
2. Typhoon (British)
3. Mosquito (British)
4. Tempest (British)
5. Mustang (US)
6. Boston (US)
7. Mitchell (US)
8. Marauder (US)
9. Auster (US)

Standard propellers were used with a depression box to take the engines up to their rated altitudes. Notably, this was the only engine test bench facility in the 2nd Tactical Air Force and played a vital role in keeping the aircraft flying. And from the first engine test in November 1944, the two Merlin benches worked three shifts a day, day-in, day-out, until beyond VE Day, 8 May 1945.
During that period, at Christmas 1944, the men of 151RU(A) gave a festive party for the 2,000 or so children of Wevelgem. It was the same time as the Ardennes Offensive.

'We served the children carrying our Sten Guns and two clips of ammunition, whilst serving the children with currant bread and cocoa as the Germans dropped their troops behind our lines. One of the young children, Anny, sang God Save The King, in English. She is now is a very close friend of ours, and her husband Etienne Vanackere is now curator of the Wevelgem Airfield Museum.'
- Harold E Jacobson

Harry Jacobson formed part of the advance party arriving at Wevelgem from RAF Odiham in September 1944. With his wife Min, and uniquely for an English couple, he was invited to and attended a Luftwaffe reunion from 12-15 May 1994, there meeting up with members of the old JG26 who had used Wevelgem from 1942-44. The speech he gave, whilst exchanging plaques with ex-JG26 Luftwaffe flier, Gottfried Schmidt, at the reunion was approved by then British Prime Minister, John Major.
Harry also revisited Wevelgem Cemetery on 18 May 1997, laying there a wreath to commemorate those who lost their lives during WW2. Over 2,000 RAF and Commonwealth aircrew are buried in Belgium, some of whom share the same Flanders soil as their relatives who died in 1914-18.

A hartwarming story wich my grandfather and grandmother still remember (they were about 12-13 years old then) The y are still thankfull to those fine English soldiers.

After the war Wevelgem remained an important "RAF- repair" airfield.

Wevelgem itself had had a pedigree flying history, having been used by German flying ace Baron Von Richthofen during WW1,

A small mistake in the text. Actually Markebeke was the airfield where The red baron took off. Marke(beke)(Marke is the town beke stands for the small river that passes next to the castle of Bethune.) is just 10 kilometers from Wevelgem and on a clear day and if you look in the good direction you can see wevelgem from the place where Markebeke once was.

Greetings.

Nice to hear a little bit about Wevelgem, Arneken. Before I caught this stupid disability (Rheumatoid Arthritis), I used to do a bit of flying, and the Popular Flying Association in Britain organised a number of fly-outs to places 'across the Channel'.It was a bit of a long hop for us in the North of England, but a number of aircraft flew from my club to Wevelgem each year. I had the pleasure of doing one trip, as P2 in a Jodel, I think in the summer of 1985 , and I remember we all enjoyed fantastic weather, and had a great long weekend with marvellous company. Happy days! Wish I could still do it, but I couldn't even climb into the cockpit these days!

The U.S.A.A.F. used Mitchells in the southern part of the E.T.O., over Italy, but technically, as far as 'theatres' go, the area would probably come under the M.T.O.
There were also about three Mitchells used by the 8th A.F. in the U.K. at one time, ex-15th A.F. machines, for courier/V.I.P. work, plus an undetermined number used on clandestine ops., leaflet dropping, and associated with E.C.M. work. These aircraft were, as far as I know, painted gloss black on the undersurfaces, with O.D. uppers, with one at least having N.M.F. uppersurfaces. So far, details on the latter group of aircraft have proved sketchy, but no doubt someone out there knows more!

already opened a topic about the german side and this is his Allied counterpart.

No.2 Squadron.

No.74 Squadron.

No.329 Squadron.

No.340 Squadron.

No.341 Squadron.

No.345 Squadron.

The Allied forces liberated Wevelgem in 1944. Soon after that they found the airfield interesting for their own warfare. the damaged airfield was repaired and soon after that the first squadrons arrived.

Groupe de chasse 1/2 cicognes where one of the 2 French squadrons who staid a while in Wevelgem.

The Sabres Rattle,
The Wasps Sting,
The Cyclones Blow,
and
As leaf by leaf,
So day by day,
Year by year,
Reunion after reunion,

In September 1944, three Queen Mary lorries, each loaded with an aircraft engine test bench, and a Hillman Utility loaded with emergency rations, arrived at Wevelgem Airfield, near Brussels in Belgium. This was an advance party from No. 151 Repair Unit (Aircraft) - or 151RU(A) - a detachment of the 2nd Tactical Air Force.
Wevelgem itself had had a pedigree flying history, having been used by German flying ace Baron Von Richthofen during WW1, and from 1942 by the 'Top Guns of the Luftwaffe', the JG26, under the jurisdiction of legendary Jagdgeschwader General Adolph Galland.
But in 1944, Wevelgem was back under Allied control, initially under a Free French squadron of Spitfires. By the time the main unit of No. 151 Repair Unit (Aircraft) arrived in October 1944, the advance party had already established three aircraft engine test benches in position and ready for work. Eventually, there were six benches;

1. two for the Merlins
4. one for a Lycoming

In addition, a Hawker Typhoon EJ693 was adapted by 151 RU (Repair Unit) as a test bench for Napier Sabre engines. All in all, the unit was able to service nine aircraft of the 2nd Tactical Air Force, four British and five American.

1. Spitfire (British)
2. Typhoon (British)
3. Mosquito (British)
4. Tempest (British)
5. Mustang (US)
6. Boston (US)
7. Mitchell (US)
8. Marauder (US)
9. Auster (US)

Standard propellers were used with a depression box to take the engines up to their rated altitudes. Notably, this was the only engine test bench facility in the 2nd Tactical Air Force and played a vital role in keeping the aircraft flying. And from the first engine test in November 1944, the two Merlin benches worked three shifts a day, day-in, day-out, until beyond VE Day, 8 May 1945.
During that period, at Christmas 1944, the men of 151RU(A) gave a festive party for the 2,000 or so children of Wevelgem. It was the same time as the Ardennes Offensive.

'We served the children carrying our Sten Guns and two clips of ammunition, whilst serving the children with currant bread and cocoa as the Germans dropped their troops behind our lines. One of the young children, Anny, sang God Save The King, in English. She is now is a very close friend of ours, and her husband Etienne Vanackere is now curator of the Wevelgem Airfield Museum.'
- Harold E Jacobson

Harry Jacobson formed part of the advance party arriving at Wevelgem from RAF Odiham in September 1944. With his wife Min, and uniquely for an English couple, he was invited to and attended a Luftwaffe reunion from 12-15 May 1994, there meeting up with members of the old JG26 who had used Wevelgem from 1942-44. The speech he gave, whilst exchanging plaques with ex-JG26 Luftwaffe flier, Gottfried Schmidt, at the reunion was approved by then British Prime Minister, John Major.
Harry also revisited Wevelgem Cemetery on 18 May 1997, laying there a wreath to commemorate those who lost their lives during WW2. Over 2,000 RAF and Commonwealth aircrew are buried in Belgium, some of whom share the same Flanders soil as their relatives who died in 1914-18.

A hartwarming story wich my grandfather and grandmother still remember (they were about 12-13 years old then) The y are still thankfull to those fine English soldiers.

Hello,
My grandfather, Charles Frank Cavell, 1913-1999, was stationed at Wevelgem from the autumn of 1944. He was at the party given for the 2000 children on Christmas day 1944. I think all members of 151 FRU were presented with one of these certificates, there can't be too many copies left in existence.

Attachments

• RAF 151 FRU WEVELGEM CHILDREN'S PARTY CHRISTMAS 1944.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 139
Hello,
My grandfather, Charles Frank Cavell, 1913-1999, was stationed at Wevelgem from the autumn of 1944. He was at the party given for the 2000 children on Christmas day 1944. I think all members of 151 FRU were presented with one of these certificates, there can't be too many copies left in existence.
That is a nice piece of history you have there

No.2 Squadron.

No.74 Squadron.

No.329 Squadron.

No.340 Squadron.

No.341 Squadron.

No.345 Squadron.

The Sabres Rattle,
The Wasps Sting,
The Cyclones Blow,
and
As leaf by leaf,
So day by day,
Year by year,
Reunion after reunion,

1. two for the Merlins
4. one for a Lycoming

1. Spitfire (British)
2. Typhoon (British)
3. Mosquito (British)
4. Tempest (British)
5. Mustang (US)
6. Boston (US)
7. Mitchell (US)
8. Marauder (US)
9. Auster (US)

- Harold E Jacobson

Hi All,
I have a photograph of the 151FRU unit choir, taken at Wevelgem, circa 1945. My grandfather is second row from the back in the centre. The choir was conducted by Donald Steer, seated front row centre, with glasses. I also have a photo, taken at RAF Odiham, I believe the choir was formed before the unit left Odiham for Wevelgem, plus some sporting photos and various musical programmes, plus a victory copy of the unit news letter, called the Wevel Gen, dated 12th May 1945. I believe the choir used to perform with an excellent solo violinist, a local lady called Jacqueline Clarysse.

Attachments

• RAF 151 FRU WEVELGEM CHOIR 1945.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 169
Hello,
My father Clifford Arthur Hewitt was in the advance party which arrived in Wevelgem at the beginning of September 1944, he came before Harold Jacobsen who arrived about the 17th I believe. He was originally 511fru, then 151RU, he also had a certificate for the Christmas party for the children in 1944, we went over a few years ago and met with Etienne Veneker and his wife who had been at the party. Etienne borrowed our certificate and we think it is now in the little Museum on the Airfield.

Hi Clifford
Thank you for your message. My grandfather was posted to Wevelgem, around the same time, but arrived around November, I believe, as he caught mumps and had to spend some time in hospital, in Blankenberg, before re-joining the unit. I still have a large part of his tool kit, which he kept, along with an escape axe from a Lancaster, which I believe landed on the airfield. on fire. I have also got a high altitude aircraft camera lens with heater wires in the glass and a yellow filter. I am not sure what this came from but it has obviously been in a crash as it is damaged and covered in mud. This were discovered in my grandfathers shed after he passed away in 1997, along with an RAF cable drum, with cable and a gear wheel, which looks German, perhaps part of an aircraft supercharger. He did give some items to the RAF museum at Hendon some years ago, including a copy of the Wevelgen news. He took part in the 85 group inter services sports tournament in 1945-46, in the rugby team and I have a medal that he won as they came top. I believe they also won the football and hockey cups, as well. I have also got his flight mechanics course notes that he made whilst training at Odiham, which is illustrated with many hand drawn diagrams of braking systems and landing gear etc. I would like to find out a bit more about the 151 FRU choir, which I think was started at Odiham, with Donald Steer, as conductor.
It is very nice to hear from you.
Many thanks
John

Hi Clifford
Thank you for your message. My grandfather was posted to Wevelgem, around the same time, but arrived around November, I believe, as he caught mumps and had to spend some time in hospital, in Blankenberg, before re-joining the unit. I still have a large part of his tool kit, which he kept, along with an escape axe from a Lancaster, which I believe landed on the airfield. on fire. I have also got a high altitude aircraft camera lens with heater wires in the glass and a yellow filter. I am not sure what this came from but it has obviously been in a crash as it is damaged and covered in mud. This were discovered in my grandfathers shed after he passed away in 1997, along with an RAF cable drum, with cable and a gear wheel, which looks German, perhaps part of an aircraft supercharger. He did give some items to the RAF museum at Hendon some years ago, including a copy of the Wevelgen news. He took part in the 85 group inter services sports tournament in 1945-46, in the rugby team and I have a medal that he won as they came top. I believe they also won the football and hockey cups, as well. I have also got his flight mechanics course notes that he made whilst training at Odiham, which is illustrated with many hand drawn diagrams of braking systems and landing gear etc. I would like to find out a bit more about the 151 FRU choir, which I think was started at Odiham, with Donald Steer, as conductor.
It is very nice to hear from you.
Many thanks
John
Hi John
This sounds just like my dad, he passed away in 2010 and when clearing out his shed had loads of bits and pieces, my hubby and brother had his whitworth tool kit and a load of hammers of various sizes. And entrenching tools. Dad took part in the football team and boxing as well as rifle shooting which is strange as he was partially blind!

Hi Mistcat,
Sorry I think in my haste last time, I wrote Clifford, apologies for that.
I have a couple of large group photos, was your father at Odiham for his training ? I think the photos were taken there, but they could be at Wevelgem, I will try and scan them at the weekend and post them. My grandfather was attached to D Flight 151 FRU, do you know which section your father was attached to ? He might be on the photos. Your father's shed sounds just the same, people seemed to keep things in those days and of course it was good quality equipment, not like the throw away stuff we have today.
I think my grandfather was very close to a local girl, who played solo violin, alongside the choir, as I have various photos of them at Blankenberg, in August 1945 and some pictures of her parents. I believe she was a first class violinist.
Best regards
John

Hi Mistcat,
Sorry I think in my haste last time, I wrote Clifford, apologies for that.
I have a couple of large group photos, was your father at Odiham for his training ? I think the photos were taken there, but they could be at Wevelgem, I will try and scan them at the weekend and post them. My grandfather was attached to D Flight 151 FRU, do you know which section your father was attached to ? He might be on the photos. Your father's shed sounds just the same, people seemed to keep things in those days and of course it was good quality equipment, not like the throw away stuff we have today.
I think my grandfather was very close to a local girl, who played solo violin, alongside the choir, as I have various photos of them at Blankenberg, in August 1945 and some pictures of her parents. I believe she was a first class violinist.
Best regards
John

Hi Mistycat,
As promised I have scanned the photo of the 151 FRU football, rugby and hockey teams, i am hoping you might find your father on there, also I have a couple of photos which i think were taken at RAF Odiham, during training. i hope you can find your father's picture, mind you I think there were about 2500 people attached to 151 FRU.
Best regards
John

Attachments

• RAF 151 RU 85 GROUP INTER UNIT COMPETITION WINNERS 1945-1946 AL.pdf
    478.9 KB · Views: 76
  • RAF 151 RU ODIHAM 1942-43.pdf
    508.5 KB · Views: 145
  • RAF Odiham 151 RU 1943 A.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
  • RAF Odiham 151 RU 1943.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 122
Hi Mistycat,
As promised I have scanned the photo of the 151 FRU football, rugby and hockey teams, i am hoping you might find your father on there, also I have a couple of photos which i think were taken at RAF Odiham, during training. i hope you can find your father's picture, mind you I think there were about 2500 people attached to 151 FRU.
Best regards
John

Hi John
Yes my dad is in the last picture, his nick name was Sandy, hes right in the middle of picture second row down 15 from right with the glasses on.
This is great to see.
Thank you so much for posting these pictures.

Hi John
Yes my dad is in the last picture, his nick name was Sandy, hes right in the middle of picture second row down 15 from right with the glasses on.
This is great to see.
Thank you so much for posting these pictures.

And I think the second photo on the extreme right second row up.
Glasses and sticky out ears, but an infectious smile!
Regards
Rachel

And I think the second photo on the extreme right second row up.
Glasses and sticky out ears, but an infectious smile!
Regards
Rachel
Hi Rachel,
I am pleased that you found your father on the pictures, I hoped you would.
My grandfather is 6 to the left of your father on the last picture and second row from the back, second on the left, on the second photo. They must have been in the same section and have known each other.
I have got an old serviette from the 23rd December 1944 from a Christmas dinner, signed by all the unit, I will see if I can find your father on it, some have written messages and addresses. It is somewhat delicate as it is very cheap paper with Christmas printing and has been folded several times, so I try not to handle it too much. If i can find your father I will try to scan it.
Best regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back