• Okinawa

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Both

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • None

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rcpilotjr

Airman
Feb 16, 2008
Which air battle was more important to u? Okinawa because it was close to japan.

Is this just for PTO? If not I would say BoB was most important because of the implications. First bloody nose for Goering and Hitler.

Don't know that Wake or Okinawa could be considered air victories. Gotta give those to the Marines.

But, to answer your question. I'll go with Okinawa. It saved a ton of aircrews and aircraft that were shot up over Japan instead of having to fly back to Iwo Jima.

None of the above. Just in June through September, 1942 the Battle of Midway and Guadalcanal from airpower standpoint were more far important.

I would have to agree with dog, Battle of Midway was probably the most important battle in the PTO, though it was as much a naval battle as an air battle. It turned the tide in the PTO; after that, it was all downhill for the Japanese.

I would have to agree with dog, Battle of Midway was probably the most important battle in the PTO, though it was as much a naval battle as an air battle. It turned the tide in the PTO; after that, it was all downhill for the Japanese.

The Japanese losses at midway were tolerable.

It was the beating they took during the Guadalcanal battles that caused irreplacable losses.

Im still wondering why Okinawa and Wake Island were selected for this poll?

The Japanese losses at midway were tolerable.

It was the losses during the Guadalcanal battles that caused irreplacable losses onto them.

Im still wondering why Okinawa and Wake Island were selected for this poll?

True about Guandalcanal, but it was not material losses at Midway that were decisive, but the loss of experienced pilots, which they never could replace. Afterwards the Japanese navy was no match for the USN. So Midway was equally decisive.

True about Guandalcanal, but it was not material losses at Midway that were decisive, but the loss of experienced pilots, which they never could replace. Afterwards the Japanese navy was no match for the USN. So Midway was equally decisive.

The historical record shows that not many aircrews were lost.

Once the carriers started burning, they were told to get off.

The losses to the ground crews and mechanics was high, but they too were replaceable.

to all this is my first poll and i thought these were interesting air battles

Sod you got it right the japs were on the down hill after that

1. Battle of Britain. A possibility that the entire war would have changed direction had Britain lost the air BoB and also succumbed to invasion (open debate)
2. Midway. Changed momentum in the Pacific. Must have been a psychological belly punch to the Japanese command structure (I am not sure the common Japanese sailor was aware of the disaster). Had the US lost, the outcome of the war in the Pacific would have been delayed but would have not changed.
3. Guadalcanal. A meat grinder for Japan. US military meets Japanese military with no advantage of sea power or air power and stops them cold. However, had the Japanese had not lost forty percent of their carrier fleet at Midway, the US would have probably had significant trouble keeping the forces at Guadalcanal supplied.

1. Battle of Britain. A possibility that the entire war would have changed direction had Britain lost the air BoB and also succumbed to invasion (open debate)
2. Midway. Changed momentum in the Pacific. Must have been a psychological belly punch to the Japanese command structure (I am not sure the common Japanese sailor was aware of the disaster). Had the US lost, the outcome of the war in the Pacific would have been delayed but would have not changed.
3. Guadalcanal. A meat grinder for Japan. US military meets Japanese military with no advantage of sea power or air power and stops them cold. However, had the Japanese had not lost forty percent of their carrier fleet at Midway, the US would have probably had significant trouble keeping the forces at Guadalcanal supplied.

IJN never recovered from Midway carrier losses. I don't believe we could have invaded Guadalcanal and been successful absent Midway battle. In my opinion the most important event in the PTO

BoB crucial to entire war and first time to blunt LW air superiority

Battle of Germany - first half of 1944 critical to establish air superiority over LW.

IMHO think Malta should be 2nd without Malta the Med would have been a far costlier affair , suppling the Africa Corps would have been far easier with the possibility of losing the Suez Canal as an end result

Users who are viewing this thread

Back