What British weapon represents Britain (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Basket

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 27, 2007
Webley revolver?
Martini Henry?
SMLE?
Spitfire?
HMS Hood?
What is Britain in wooden or metallic weapon form?
SA-80?
Brodie helmet?
Chieftain?
Land Rover?

potd-light-house_3540014b.jpg

Historically it was the sea but in modern times maybe the Spitfire says it best.

Or maybe HMS Victory or Month Python who knows?
To me the SMLE is more commonwealth to me but the Webley just has a look and design to it.
James Bond and his German blowback...Or maybe a yellow Submarine used in WW2.

The greatest gift Britain gave to the world is the English language.
Rolls Royce? A rich history.

Or maybe HMS Victory or Month Python who knows?
To me the SMLE is more commonwealth to me but the Webley just has a look and design to it.
James Bond and his German blowback...Or maybe a yellow Submarine used in WW2.

The greatest gift Britain gave to the world is the English language.
Rolls Royce? A rich history.

I would agree in part, having been on the Victory I can hardly imagine spending a night on it let alone years with 850 other. Nelson spent two years continually at sea in the lead up to Trafalgar which is probably where the RNs obsession with discipline and cleaning polishing things comes from.

It is a quirk of RN bureaucracy that sailors without a ship are assigned to a ship regardless. In WW2 both my father and father in law served on "HMS Victory" while training.

As a Briton myself I cant really comment on a "greatest gift" myself though in my opinion the English language came about by accident while Magna Carta and Habeas Corpus were by design.

Last edited:
Ah English. As divisive as it is inclusive as a language. I recall visiting some friends of my British wife in England for dinner. At the conclusion of dinner I commented that it had been "quite nice". The hosts looked put out, and my wife was horrified, exclaiming that I did not mean it. To which I replied I certainly did mean it, it was quite nice. I was informed later after my wife soothed some ruffled British nerves that quite nice in Britain was the equivalent to it was ok but I would not do it again. Two countries separated by a lot of water and a not so common language. Of course I spent a fair amount of time trying to find this obscure kind of tape called "cello tape" in a local shop at home only to find out it actually meant what we call Scotch (the brand not the country) tape. The list goes on.

Ah English. As divisive as it is inclusive as a language. I recall visiting some friends of my British wife in England for dinner. At the conclusion of dinner I commented that it had been "quite nice". The hosts looked put out, and my wife was horrified, exclaiming that I did not mean it. To which I replied I certainly did mean it, it was quite nice. I was informed later after my wife soothed some ruffled British nerves that quite nice in Britain was the equivalent to it was ok but I would not do it again. Two countries separated by a lot of water and a not so common language. Of course I spent a fair amount of time trying to find this obscure kind of tape called "cello tape" in a local shop at home only to find out it actually meant what we call Scotch (the brand not the country) tape. The list goes on.

Due to some recent misunderstandings, EU was compelled to issue a translation guide British-Rest of the world:

aef304615d5be9342fa4dc56645b502f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back